The Student Room Group

alevel geo coasts 20mark question help

"Evaluate the view that global warming is the greatest risk to coastal communities"

I literally am so confused on this question

My plan so far:

1- Agree, global warming -> sea level rise -> flood risk + coral bleaching-> severe impacts on low-lying countries (Kiribati/Bangladesh) and the impacts of a cyclone on Bangladesh

2- disagree, development level can limit the effects of global warming e.g. flood defences, economic diversification, social loss

Australia vs Bangladesh??

3- Disagree ? I have no idea

Basically my 1st and 2nd points overlap in terms of talking about Bangladesh and the cast study

Maybe 3rd point coastal recession in Happisburgh and the economic loss it has there on areas reliant on tourism as a source of income but there's not much development there?
Also can I say for that point they had storm surges and it led to costal recession or is that only costal flooding?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by thrush
"Evaluate the view that global warming is the greatest risk to coastal communities"

I literally am so confused on this question

My plan so far:

1- Agree, global warming -> sea level rise -> flood risk + coral bleaching-> severe impacts on low-lying countries (Kiribati/Bangladesh) and the impacts of a cyclone on Bangladesh

2- disagree, development level can limit the effects of global warming e.g. flood defences, economic diversification, social loss

Australia vs Bangladesh??

3- Disagree ? I have no idea

Basically my 1st and 2nd points overlap in terms of talking about Bangladesh and the cast study

Maybe 3rd point coastal recession in Happisburgh and the economic loss it has there on areas reliant on tourism as a source of income but there's not much development there?
Also can I say for that point they had storm surges and it led to costal recession or is that only costal flooding?

you can argue development level but you could potentially talk about storm surges being a risk for coastal areas and for that case study - use hurricane Katrina

storm surges - a change in atmospheric pressure leading to flooding (how I define it)
storm surges only lead to coastal flooding because when they occur, they flood the area but then eventually recede to sea with no effect.
when using global warming - use Tuvalu as a good case study as it is a suffering area that caused environmental migrants and so much flooding that the fishing and tourism industry were lost (which were the main source of income)
you could talk about the coastal recession in Happisburgh and potentially talk about the uk policy change and how it eventually led to coastal recession
(extra info - uk housing insurance doesn't cover houses at risk of coastal flooding/recession e.g. houses on the holderness coastline and Happisburgh)

hope this helps!
The above plus make brief summary notes. Find a old and adverse weather event case study and use it. Provide key definitions.

Quick Reply

Latest