GCSE Summer holiday

Watch this thread
DaniellaDZ
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, I was wondering what to do during my summer holidays. I want it to be fun but have some kind of productivity involved like work experience or beginning some sort of A-level content. What have you done or are planning to do in your summer holiday after GCSES?? Thank you
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I’m going to work in a church. You can also find out if there are any current vacancies or useful work experience schemes for young people in your local area, ask a teacher at your school. Search online for more relevant career information or see if you can talk to a helpful career advisor who is free of charge.
Consider your own skills and hobbies. The national career advice service is a good starting point, do take a careful look at their official website, you can even do a recommended career quiz found on that site. Most free local community libraries also have some handy career books that are definitely worth reading in addition.
Ask the librarian. Do make summary notes. These days you can either call or email a nice friendly independent career advisor to help. Be careful what you read on the Internet however. Stick to trusted UK career services only in other words. Alternatively you can ask a career advisor located at your school who may be able to help.
radicaledward
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you're not already, maybe start at a gym, my sister started about a year ago and it's a great mental health reliever and is obviously productive.
You could also look at the first topics of your A-level courses
Maybe pick up a new hobby? - Skateboarding for example, I started in September but got bogged down with GCSEs so gonna pick it up again
I think a good idea is making a study plan ahead of time for A-levels
Maybe a summer job too - gives you job experience + extra money
Maybe renovate your room or something
Pick up something to build! Like lego or a model of some kind - they are the best things to keep you busy and are a ton of fun. I recommend Tamiya kits (they are expensive tho), they are RC cars you build yourself. Even if you aren't interested in cars at all they are still really entertaining

Good luck for the remainder of the GCSES!
edjc123
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DaniellaDZ)
Hey, I was wondering what to do during my summer holidays. I want it to be fun but have some kind of productivity involved like work experience or beginning some sort of A-level content. What have you done or are planning to do in your summer holiday after GCSES?? Thank you
for fun stuff, i'm planning on going to a couple concerts and to scotland for a bit to visit my sister. im also gonna try and make one of those booknook things to go on my bookshelf (If you google you will see what i mean - im obsessed with them lol)!
and for academics, im going to make sure i carry on with french a bit since im doing it for a level (mainly just doing anki) and will also start research for my epq. ill also do some reading for history and politics because a) i may as well get a bit ahead and b) i love them anyway so want to do reading about them regardless
Last edited by edjc123; 1 month ago
ianthe alice
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Im doing NCS this summer. Its a two week government programme that only costs £50. You do a week of residential type activities followed by a week of volunteering. I highly recommend that you look it up!
radicaledward
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by edjc123)
for fun stuff, i'm planning on going to a couple concerts and to scotland for a bit to visit my sister. Im also gonna try and make one of those booknook things to go on my bookshelf (if you google you will see what i mean - im obsessed with them lol)!
And for academics, im going to make sure i carry on with french a bit since im doing it for a level (mainly just doing anki) and will also start research for my epq. Ill also do some reading for history and politics because a) i may as well get a bit ahead and b) i love them anyway so want to do reading about them regardless
woah im definitely doing a booknook wtf

any tips n stuff for them??
Last edited by radicaledward; 1 month ago
edjc123
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by radicaledward)
woah im definitely doing a booknook wtf

any tips n stuff for them??
ill admit that i have no idea how to do them really besides watching a few tiktoks of people making them. Im guessing that there will be youtube videos on how to do them, but im just hoping that art gcse will have done one thing for me, and that one thing is allow me to make a cute booknook lol
dahlia06
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ianthe alice)
Im doing NCS this summer. Its a two week government programme that only costs £50. You do a week of residential type activities followed by a week of volunteering. I highly recommend that you look it up!
same! which week are u doing it?
username5942977
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I’m going to have a restful break
Then I’m probably going to pick up on a few new hobbies and also have a lot of time to spend w friends 😁 I also want to earn money, and volunteer somewhere
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Your school may set some prep work.
BenjiC.
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm off to Vietnam and Cambodia on expedition for a month and doing some work out there. After 3 years of fundraising finally getting there
sadfailure
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Sameee!!
sadfailure
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BenjiC.)
I'm off to Vietnam and Cambodia on expedition for a month and doing some work out there. After 3 years of fundraising finally getting there
That sounds amazing! You are honestly going places man. Hope you enjoy it, you definitely deserve that - especially after THREE WHOLE YEARS of fundraising.
Lucadahse
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m going to try and find work in August, but will also try to do pre-A Level work and I want to start some writing projects.
thrivingfrog
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm going on holiday, doing volunteering at my church, going to work (as usual). I'm currently applying for work experience aswell, and I'll be reading up on some psychology stuff as I havent studied it at GCSE
Ika_11
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Sameeee, which week are u off?

19younga60
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
same, my dad doesn't want me moping around the house all summer. One of the things I'm aiming to do is NCS with some friends (there's one in July and another in august btw), it's some camp/volunteering thing (and goes on your cv once completed apparently). Other things on my lists are sightseeing and day trips, as well as cooking and film evenings. Hope this is helpful and exams go okay (:

VY
maxxxxx7
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by thrivingfrog)
I'm going on holiday, doing volunteering at my church, going to work (as usual). I'm currently applying for work experience aswell, and I'll be reading up on some psychology stuff as I havent studied it at GCSE
let me know if you find any useful psychology stuff !! im a bit worried since i havent done it in GCSEs either
Sharmiii
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm gonna be going out spending time with friends cab u give any ideas places to go please?? Good luck for ur GCSE'S also.
J06
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sharmiii)
I'm gonna be going out spending time with friends cab u give any ideas places to go please?? Good luck for ur GCSE'S also.
Pryzm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads