The Student Room Group

Panic Attacks

I have been having issues with anxiety and panic attacks since year 9 but it has been becoming worse and more often. I know that a lot of people say that the exams are a really difficult time for many people and that things will get better but I don't really know if I will ever really get better.

My panic attacks have been becoming more frequent and more severe. It's something that is beginning to concern me. Is it normal for my panic attacks to be becoming more frequent and more severe? I don't want to have to open up to my mum and speaking to my GP isn't really an option. The staff at my school are aware and have been trying to help but I just feel alone and sort of empty. It has been making me feel exhausted and I don't know whether or not it will impact my GCSE's. It impacted my mock exams and this was something that made me feel disheartened and worse about GCSE's.
Original post by GatitoMeow123
I have been having issues with anxiety and panic attacks since year 9 but it has been becoming worse and more often. I know that a lot of people say that the exams are a really difficult time for many people and that things will get better but I don't really know if I will ever really get better.

My panic attacks have been becoming more frequent and more severe. It's something that is beginning to concern me. Is it normal for my panic attacks to be becoming more frequent and more severe? I don't want to have to open up to my mum and speaking to my GP isn't really an option. The staff at my school are aware and have been trying to help but I just feel alone and sort of empty. It has been making me feel exhausted and I don't know whether or not it will impact my GCSE's. It impacted my mock exams and this was something that made me feel disheartened and worse about GCSE's.

Yes, it's normal for panic attacks to change in frequency, duration or intensity. They can get better as well as worse.

If you're not in a position to go to your GP, the charity MIND has good guidance online, including a section on self care:

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/about-anxiety/
I was the same here’s a technique my therapist gave me. It’s called the 7/11 breathing technique, take a deep breath in for 7s then breath out for 11s. Keep doing this till you feel more calm whenever your anxious. Try to do it 3-4 times a day through the day. It really helped me. Also I’m sure you can find online referral form for therapy. The place I went to is called Birmingham healthy minds. Lmk if you want me to pm you with any other advice my therapist gave me to help me. :smile:

It can be normal for panic attacks to become more frequent and severe, is it possible for you to speak to someone you trust?? It could be a teacher or maybe a student advisor/counsellor. Make sure that you are eating and drinking enough, it won't cure the anxiety but may help a little. As for the panic attacks i find the 4-4-4 breathing technique very helpful, breathing in for 4,hold for 4 and out for 4. It might not seem like it at all but things will get better (trust me i didnt believe this a few months ago but honestly you will be okay) :smile:

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing that; I'd assume it is hard to open up about these sorts of things. Although you've said that the GP is not an option, may I ask you - why not? GPs or Health professionals, in general, can be of great help in such circumstances, and there is nothing wrong with contacting them if you are feeling difficulties coping. I would advise you to think about speaking with your GP and see what they say. They probably had patients with similar issues and may share what previous patients did to sort their situation out. It is a win-win, so I highly encourage you to contact a health professional.

Best of luck!

Ivaylo
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest