How many hours should I work while at college/sixth form?

Watch this thread
literarybard
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What would you guys recommend? I don’t have my timetable yet but it is going to be roughly 8-6 including commute times. There is the chance of one off day but not guaranteed. I will also have weekends.

How many did you guys work while at college? Tips to avoid burnout?
Kiranthegreatest
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
In the sixth form, they normally say 15 hours a week. 5 hours for 3 A level subjects
Imperviousness
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Just keep on top of the topics you're doing in class. Once you slack off, it's hard to keep up.

However long it takes you to keep up with the topics, should be how many hours you study.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Is the question, how much time should you spend on your studies, or how much time can you work in a part-time job outside of your studies?
literarybard
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Is the question, how much time should you spend on your studies, or how much time can you work in a part-time job outside of your studies?
I realise now that I didn’t make it clear. I mean a part time job.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by literarybard)
I realise now that I didn’t make it clear. I mean a part time job.
I thought you might've but the other replies gave me pause!

In that case particularly if you're basically "full time" in the week, I'd really not suggest more than one weekend day shift (or two short shifts across each day) just to maintain your sanity more than anything else
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
My Sixth form capped it at 12 hrs a week, but I honestly think it depends on what days you're working? I could have easily done 16 hours (2 four hour shifts during the week, and an 8 hr shift on a saturday, say) but i found doing 8 really tough (4 hours sat, 4 hours sun.) I would make sure you have at least one day off per week, and would say after school work is better than weekend work if you can get it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (15)
28.3%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
41.51%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.77%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.66%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.55%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
11.32%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads