PhD Student | doctor's note , MH, department or supervisors?

Watch this thread
sexyfredybear
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm at a uni with a college system so I provide this information to both my college and department, am i able to keep it discreet from my supervisor's for the time-being? until I feel /when/if I feel I need to make them aware?

Thanks
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
It's not entirely clear what the information is about, but I would have expected your supervisor(s) in a PhD would be the most important person to flag any potential issues that would in e.g. undergraduate or taught postgrad courses constitute extenuating circumstances, so as to be able to discuss how to best manage them in the scope of the PhD and what options you have if that isn't feasible?

Unless it is specifically about them, in which case that's a pretty big red flag for continuing with them in your PhD as you need a good supervisor relationship to start with!

The_Lonely_Goatherd might be able to offer more advice though (and is familiar with at least one of those college based universities and associated issues that collegiate structure can create!)
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 weeks ago
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It's not entirely clear what the information is about, but I would have expected your supervisor(s) in a PhD would be the most important person to flag any potential issues that would in e.g. undergraduate or taught postgrad courses constitute extenuating circumstances, so as to be able to discuss how to best manage them in the scope of the PhD and what options you have if that isn't feasible?

Unless it is specifically about them, in which case that's a pretty big red flag for continuing with them in your PhD as you need a good supervisor relationship to start with!

The_Lonely_Goatherd might be able to offer more advice though (and is familiar with at least one of those college based universities and associated issues that collegiate structure can create!)
This is very good advice. I'm not sure how advisable or practical it is to try and keep things hidden from your PhD supervisor, tbh. Especially in a college-based uni (and especially if you mean one of the Oxbridge lot). If it IS Oxbridge, I imagine things would go through the College's Senior Tutor (I dunno what they call them in Cambridge but that's what they call them in Oxford), so you could approach the Senior Tutor discreetly and ask whether it's possible to not disclose the info to your supervisor. As has been pointed out, though, that's not likely to be in your best interests though...
sexyfredybear
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
This is very good advice. I'm not sure how advisable or practical it is to try and keep things hidden from your PhD supervisor, tbh. Especially in a college-based uni (and especially if you mean one of the Oxbridge lot). If it IS Oxbridge, I imagine things would go through the College's Senior Tutor (I dunno what they call them iyeh sible to not disclose the info to your supervisor. As has been pointed out, though, that's not likely to be in your best interests though...
yeh i suspected such replies as confused as to why that would be in my best interest- tbh, I feel OK right now, it's more about so there's a track record of what went on before, and I would no doubt discuss it with my supervisor's at some point, I just don't want to make a big deal about things right now, and just focus on the work tbh, that's all, maybe in a couple of months time or so when I feel like things are a bit calmed down and less busy I'd want to discuss.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sexyfredybear)
yeh i suspected such replies as confused as to why that would be in my best interest- tbh, I feel OK right now, it's more about so there's a track record of what went on before, and I would no doubt discuss it with my supervisor's at some point, I just don't want to make a big deal about things right now, and just focus on the work tbh, that's all, maybe in a couple of months time or so when I feel like things are a bit calmed down and less busy I'd want to discuss.
Are you registered with your uni's disability office? If so there should be a mechanism for them to be able to tell your College/Dept./supervisor about your mental health condition, with your explicit permission and without you having to do so. That might be easier to navigate than you telling certain people but actively not telling supervisor at the same time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (8)
44.44%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
22.22%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.11%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
16.67%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads