My mind is in a frenzy

Watch this thread
superharrydude09
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Basically, I broke up with a girl around 2 months ago because my parents forced me to, due to differing race. I still think about her everyday, and think it was wrong of me, and my feelings for her haven’t changed even though we don’t talk that much now. It’s incredibly difficult on my mind, because I fear that she may have moved on, and I haven’t. Would it be selfish of me to approach her and talk to her, especially in hopes of rekindling our relationship? Should I try to just forget her instead? This has been really distracting for my exam preparation, although my parents don’t really care; splitting us up was a greater priority to them.
Last edited by superharrydude09; 4 weeks ago
lamanai_blue
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Did she know why you broke up with her? How upset was she? Idk just from what you've said
superharrydude09
Rep:
(Original post by lamanai_blue)
Did she know why you broke up with her? How upset was she? Idk just from what you've said
Yeah, she knows, I explained it all to her when we broke up. She definitely seemed upset, but there was no arguing or fighting, she just accepted it. She looks to be doing well now though. I don’t want to ruin her peace if she’s moved on, as that’d be selfish of me, but my feelings for her are making me regret every bit of breaking up with her.
lamanai_blue
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by superharrydude09)
Yeah, she knows, I explained it all to her when we broke up. She definitely seemed upset, but there was no arguing or fighting, she just accepted it. She looks to be doing well now though. I don’t want to ruin her peace if she’s moved on, as that’d be selfish of me, but my feelings for her are making me regret every bit of breaking up with her.
I guess the most important thing then is if things would be different this time. Would your parents give her trouble? If not, would they give you trouble? If they gave you trouble, would you be willing and able to deal with it, or would it put strain on your relationship with your gf? Unless you can see a way to get around the problem, there's no point considering it.

Honestly breaking up with someone because your parents don't approve of their race sounds like a pretty *****y thing to do to me, but I don't know the details so I still can't really judge what it was like. It does seem like you'd be asking a lot of her if you asked her to get back together. So definitely don't do it unless you're willing and able to take on the burden of dealing with your parents.
Last edited by lamanai_blue; 4 weeks ago
superharrydude09
Rep:
I guess the most important thing then is if things would be different this time. Would your parents give her trouble? If not, would they give you trouble? If they gave you trouble, would you be willing and able to deal with it, or would it put strain on your relationship with your gf? Unless you can see a way to get around the problem, there's no point considering it.

Honestly breaking up with someone because your parents don't approve of their race sounds like a pretty *****y thing to do to me, but I don't know the details so I still can't really judge what it was like. It does seem like you'd be asking a lot of her if you asked her to get back together. So definitely don't do it unless you're willing and able to take on the burden of dealing with your parents.
It’d have to be in secret, I wouldn’t have broken up with her just because my parents didn’t approve, but my mum was literally becoming ill and even had to call 999 while I was at school because of it. It’s ridiculous, and is something that scares me, because in the future, whether with this girl, or anyone else, if the girl doesn’t fit into the tight category that my mother approves of, she’ll literally become ill.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
It’d have to be in secret, I wouldn’t have broken up with her just because my parents didn’t approve, but my mum was literally becoming ill and even had to call 999 while I was at school because of it. It’s ridiculous, and is something that scares me, because in the future, whether with this girl, or anyone else, if the girl doesn’t fit into the tight category that my mother approves of, she’ll literally become ill.
Literally had the same issue with a guy my parents disapproved of. We don’t talk anymore but I still miss him tremendously, even though it’s been a year. You just have to distract yourself as best as you can.
lamanai_blue
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Wow, that sounds intense. I hope things get easier with your parents, because you're right-- you probably will end up dating someone your mum doesn't approve of at some point in your life. Try not to let her guilt trip you too much; from what you've said her reaction was extreme. Final thing I think you should think about then: are you doing your a levels right now? Does that mean you and the girl are likely to be in different places from September? Is it all worth it for a couple of months?
superharrydude09
Rep:
Wow, that sounds intense. I hope things get easier with your parents, because you're right-- you probably will end up dating someone your mum doesn't approve of at some point in your life. Try not to let her guilt trip you too much; from what you've said her reaction was extreme. Final thing I think you should think about then: are you doing your a levels right now? Does that mean you and the girl are likely to be in different places from September? Is it all worth it for a couple of months?
Thanks, and we’re doing our AS Levels, but you do raise an important point, because I also need to consider what comes after A Levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed