how to apply and choose year10 schools

Watch this thread
NC2007
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Will be shifting to UK in August 2022, Can someone suggest how to take admissions in year 10 in and around Slough and Buckinghamshire area. Age wise my son will have to go to Year 11, but can we insist and request to admit my son to Year 10. Is it possible?
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
You can't insist but some schools may allow it. It's certainly a good idea if you can, or he'll end up having to do 2 year GCSE courses in 1 year.

Your best option is probably to contact your preferred school and ask them.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
In Buckinghamshire
https://www.buckinghamshire.gov.uk/s...-school-place/

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/apply-for-a-school-place/

In Slough
https://www.slough.gov.uk/school-admissions

I see a lot of questions on TSR from students who have arrived in UK during year 10 and 11
Because they haven't studied the same material as UK kids or because schools are uncertain of their ability level or sometimes because of initial challenges of learning in English, they often end up in classes that take Foundation Tier GCSE examinations. These are easier exams that don't test the full scope of the subject and only enable grade 1-5 results. This is done with the best intentions to ensure the student achieves at least a pass grade in their core subjects without too much pressure to catch up. However, they are then shocked to find that this greatly limits their choices of qualifications and subjects when they move up to year 12. Some subjects will require minimum grade 6 or better that is only available from Higher Tier examination. Make sure you discuss the right choices for your son (based on his ability and future aspirations) when you find a school that will take him.
Last edited by gdunne42; 4 weeks ago
NC2007
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
thanks @gdunne42 and @skylark2 for your responses.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by NC2007)
thanks @gdunne42 and @skylark2 for your responses.
You'll need an address before you can get a school. Where will you live?
NC2007
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
we have not finalized an accommodation yet. though as the job is in slough, most likely we will be staying over there. I am open to Slough or other nearby areas where in where chances are bright to get a good school ..any suggestions are welcome in this regard
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (25)
27.78%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
34.44%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
8.89%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.33%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.56%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
14.44%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (3)
3.33%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.22%

Watched Threads