A level bio — Describe how a population may develop drug resistance

Watch this thread
zarahh09
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Describe how a population may develop drug resistance

I know it’s Mutation, adaptation, survival, reproduction, change in allele frequency but idk how to word it for 4 mark question

It needs to be detailed and mine are so short
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
A random mutation in the DNA leads to drug resistance. Exposure to the drug acts as a selection pressure where only the individuals with the advantageous drug resistance allele can survive and successfully reproduces, passing down the advantageous drug resistance allele to their offspring. Overtime, the frequency of the drug resistance allele increases until it becomes a common allele.
I'm guessing this is about bacteria and antibiotic resistance in which case you could also mention that they can transfer the antibiotic resistance allele to other bacteria via conjugation.
zarahh09
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kaorimiyazono)
A random mutation in the DNA leads to drug resistance. Exposure to the drug acts as a selection pressure where only the individuals with the advantageous drug resistance allele can survive and successfully reproduces, passing down the advantageous drug resistance allele to their offspring. Overtime, the frequency of the drug resistance allele increases until it becomes a common allele.
I'm guessing this is about bacteria and antibiotic resistance in which case you could also mention that they can transfer the antibiotic resistance allele to other bacteria via conjugation.
Thank youuuu
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by zarahh09)
Thank youuuu
Np
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads