GCSE chemistry help!

Watch this thread
harlz_chalamet
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hey guys!
i was doing a moles question and one of the steps i needed to do was find out the moles of chlorine so i needed to find the Mr of chlorine.
i ended up finding Cl2 which was 71
however, i was meant to find just Cl which is 31.5

when the question states 'chlorine', do i automatically have to know that they are asking for the chlorine atom because i've always thought that i had to find the molecule Cl2 instead.

for a bit of context, this is the question (Question 8.6):

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-...H-QP-NOV20.PDF

thankyou
luana35
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
This question is asking for a mole ratio, so when you're doing calculations using chlorine atoms (Cl2) you use the Mr of two atoms, but since its asking for the mole ratio, its a bit different as a ratio is just comparing the moles of the iron (i think) and the chlorine, so you need to give the moles using the Mr of just 35.5. i hope that's helpful.
scimus63
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
the examples at the end of this page show you how to do this

https://science-revision.co.uk/moles...20formula.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads