Imperial vs Birmingham Chemical Engineering

Watch this thread
dhilan.100
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate some advice – I have received offers for both Imperial (A*A*A*) and Birmingham (A*AA) and I am really stuck on which one to put as my firm choice with the deadline looming.
I am unsure about putting Imperial as if I did get the grades, I am not sure whether I would be able to cope with the work load and enjoy a balanced University life and worried the stress of all the work could take over. However, I know Imperial from a prestige point of view and in terms of job prospects is supposed to be excellent so if I don’t pick it and got the grades – would I regret it in future? For example, IF I didn’t want to go into a job Chem Eng. Related, Imperial would offer lots of other prospects e.g. finance. If I wanted to go into finance after Birmingham – would this be possible?

When I visited Birmingham, I thought the Chem Eng. atmosphere seemed more relaxed and the staff seemed friendly and approachable – added benefit of a year in industry as a possibility also. It also definitely has more of a campus feel than Imperial which I liked. Imperial didn’t have an in person Chem Eng. Open Day which is a shame as it is hard to get a feel what the course/students and facilities are like without it.
I am from around London so could live out for a couple of years at Imperial but would then probably commute (1hr 20 mins). At Birmingham I would have to live out the whole time (4-5 years).

I am leaning slightly towards Birmingham at the moment because I feel like I would appreciate a slightly less intense work load and like the campus vibe but at the same time feel living out for 4-5 years is a long time.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated – Thank You!
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dhilan.100)
Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate some advice – I have received offers for both Imperial (A*A*A*) and Birmingham (A*AA) and I am really stuck on which one to put as my firm choice with the deadline looming.
I am unsure about putting Imperial as if I did get the grades, I am not sure whether I would be able to cope with the work load and enjoy a balanced University life and worried the stress of all the work could take over. However, I know Imperial from a prestige point of view and in terms of job prospects is supposed to be excellent so if I don’t pick it and got the grades – would I regret it in future? For example, IF I didn’t want to go into a job Chem Eng. Related, Imperial would offer lots of other prospects e.g. finance. If I wanted to go into finance after Birmingham – would this be possible?

When I visited Birmingham, I thought the Chem Eng. atmosphere seemed more relaxed and the staff seemed friendly and approachable – added benefit of a year in industry as a possibility also. It also definitely has more of a campus feel than Imperial which I liked. Imperial didn’t have an in person Chem Eng. Open Day which is a shame as it is hard to get a feel what the course/students and facilities are like without it.
I am from around London so could live out for a couple of years at Imperial but would then probably commute (1hr 20 mins). At Birmingham I would have to live out the whole time (4-5 years).

I am leaning slightly towards Birmingham at the moment because I feel like I would appreciate a slightly less intense work load and like the campus vibe but at the same time feel living out for 4-5 years is a long time.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated – Thank You!
Imperial is undoubtedly offer better job prospects in the most competitive graduate industries (including finance) but also consulting (technical & management) as well as areas like IP (patent attorneys...). Imperial is also a bigger name internationally.

For most engineering engineering jobs at big firms wether you are at Brum or Imperial it won’t matter, it’s only the very competitive industries.

Yes you can still apply for finance etc, from Birmingham but realistically it will not be as strong a brand on your CV.

Imperial probably is a more intense environment tbh, a mix of the courses but also culture of typically high students..., and yes you don’t get same student campus vibes at London colleges (at least not as strong as other places from the conversations ive had with students at different universities).

as for the lack of in person open day at Imperial, tbh it’s probably more because Imperial know they will be firmed by a far larger percentage of offer holders then Birmingham, thus Birmingham has to put more effort into marketing to get students in...
dhilan.100
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
Imperial is undoubtedly offer better job prospects in the most competitive graduate industries (including finance) but also consulting (technical & management) as well as areas like IP (patent attorneys...). Imperial is also a bigger name internationally.

For most engineering engineering jobs at big firms wether you are at Brum or Imperial it won’t matter, it’s only the very competitive industries.

Yes you can still apply for finance etc, from Birmingham but realistically it will not be as strong a brand on your CV.

Imperial probably is a more intense environment tbh, a mix of the courses but also culture of typically high students..., and yes you don’t get same student campus vibes at London colleges (at least not as strong as other places from the conversations ive had with students at different universities).

as for the lack of in person open day at Imperial, tbh it’s probably more because Imperial know they will be firmed by a far larger percentage of offer holders then Birmingham, thus Birmingham has to put more effort into marketing to get students in...
Thanks for taking the time to reply mnot.

Would you say Birmingham is still highly regarded within the Chemical Engineering industry...albeit possibly without the prestige of Imperial on paper ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads