Which universities take BTECs for MPharm?

Watch this thread
iEndeavor
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I only have applied science BTECs (no ALevels)
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
If you browse Pharmacy courses on UCAS here and click the big oracle circle on one of the courses which displays the required UCAS Tariff Points, you can opt for it to display the required BTEC National Extended Diploma (level 3) grades instead.

If you do this, the first three it lists (alphabetically) are:

Aston University, Birmingham: D*D*D* - DDD
University of Bath: DDD
University of Birmingham: See entry requirements

If you then check what the university web sites themselves say, you find that UCAS doesn't really tell you the whole story:

Aston University: Extended Diploma (QCF) National | Distinction*, Distinction*, Distinction* (D*D*D*) | The BTEC subject must be Applied Science with which you do not require an additional A Level.
University of Bath: DDD in the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF) plus grade A in A level Chemistry
University of Birmingham: BTEC Extended Diploma will not be considered without A level Chemistry

So, from that sample of three, one could have guessed that when UCAS said "See entry requirements" for Birmingham, it really meant "Not allowed". However, it's disappointing that the details UCAS displays for University of Bath are inaccurate. At least Aston University looks like a potential option.

I don't know a quicker way to answer your question other than to repeat the above process for the other 37 provides of MPharm which UCAS lists.
UCLan Student
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by iEndeavor)
Hi, just to give you an idea UCLan accept BTEC diplomas. Here is a link to our website if you scroll down you will be able to see the entry requirements which are D*D*D*: https://www.uclan.ac.uk/undergraduat...harmacy-mpharm. But like the other comment in this discussion websites like UCAS are really helpful to find out entry requirements! Good luck with your application, I hope you get in to where you want!- Emily
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by iEndeavor)
Hi there,

The entry requirements for Pharmacy MPharm at Aston are:

- Extended Diploma (QCF) National: D*D*D* ( The BTEC subject must be Applied Science with which you do not require an additional A-Level )
- Extended Diploma (QCF/National): DDD ( With this BTEC you must achieve grade BB in two science A-level subjects including Chemistry PLUS Biology, Physics or Maths )
- Diploma (QCF)National Diploma: DD ( With this BTEC you must achieve grade BB in two science subjects including Chemistry PLUS Biology, Physics or Maths. If you are taking the BTEC in Applied Science subject, you must also achieve grade B in A-Level Chemistry)

You can see more of the entry requirements here: https://www.aston.ac.uk/study/course...september-2022

I hope this has helped.

*Ethel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.27%
As I expected (23)
29.87%
Harder (29)
37.66%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.19%

Watched Threads