Is Mechanics 2 harder than S1? (Edexcel)

Watch this thread
Aleksander Krol
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I loved studying Mechanics 1 this year. But I'm not sure how I'm going to find Mechanics 2.
So if anyone took Mechanics 2 recently, can you just tell me, how are you finding it so far? Is it going good? How different it is from M1?
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aleksander Krol)
I loved studying Mechanics 1 this year. But I'm not sure how I'm going to find Mechanics 2.
So if anyone took Mechanics 2 recently, can you just tell me, how are you finding it so far? Is it going good? How different it is from M1?
Is this for the Edexcel International A Level?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aleksander Krol)
Assuming this is IAL, M2 is definitely harder than M1. A fair bit of M1 was topics you might already be familiar with. M2 definitely introduces new stuff. That said, M2 is a natural progression from what you learned in M1 and isn't monstrously difficult. Whether you'd find S1 easier is hard to say. It is definitely way easier content and a lot of it is a simple extension from GCSE but some people find S1 bitty, messy and not as mathematical as they would like if they are pure maths fans.
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think all of it is particularly hard compared to M1. For any students also doing physics, there will be a lot that carries over from that - work, energy, power, moments, projectile motion. Even for non-physics students, it should feel like a logical progression from M1. Some of the collisions parts can get a bit involved.

If you enjoyed M1, I'd say do M2. S1 should be easier in principle, but it depends how much you fancy doing some statistics. Some people have a clear preference, and if yours is for mechanics, there's no reason not to stick with it. The only reason I'd give to perhaps consider S1 after all is that some knowledge of statistics is a good thing for life and reasoning skills in general.
Aleksander Krol
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
thank you all for your replies!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
27.66%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (19)
40.43%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.26%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8.51%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
12.77%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise