The Student Room Group

Which Access Course

Hi guys was looking for some advice. I am currently thinking about going back to college in September to do an Access course . My long term goal is to go to Uni and study Building Surveying. The only access courses that are available at my local colleges are in subjects such as Health Care and Science and Criminology.

My question is does it matter if the HE course isn't related to what you want to study at degree level . I'm basically just looking to gain enough UCAS points to be able to progress onto a degree course at Uni .

It just seems a bit random that someone would do a HE course in Health care if they then wanted to do Building Surveying but it seems as though that's all available.

Am I right in thinking that as long as I get enough UCAS points, that's the main things and the actual subject doesn't matter so much

Thanks
Hi Jamienee, I have had a look at UCLan's Building Surveying degree and have also looked at a couple of other universities and you're right! Just having the right amount of UCAS for the university seems to be the average requirement for everywhere. I'll give you the link to UCLan's version of the course for an example of the amount of points expected: https://www.uclan.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/building-surveying-bsc. If you have a university in mind it may be beneficial to contact them or check their website to double check but you should be fine with a non degree specific access to HE course!:smile:- Emily
Original post by Jamienee
Hi guys was looking for some advice. I am currently thinking about going back to college in September to do an Access course . My long term goal is to go to Uni and study Building Surveying. The only access courses that are available at my local colleges are in subjects such as Health Care and Science and Criminology.

My question is does it matter if the HE course isn't related to what you want to study at degree level . I'm basically just looking to gain enough UCAS points to be able to progress onto a degree course at Uni .

It just seems a bit random that someone would do a HE course in Health care if they then wanted to do Building Surveying but it seems as though that's all available.

Am I right in thinking that as long as I get enough UCAS points, that's the main things and the actual subject doesn't matter so much

Thanks
Original post by Jamienee

Thanks

@Jamienee
Hi, I've taught on Access to HE for nearly 10 years so I might be able to help.

Firstly, I would check with the admissions tutors at your local University. Also, check the entry requirements to see if there is an expectation for a Level 2 in English and Maths (a GCSE or functional skills)

For some careers there is an expectation to fulfil certain Unit's, this is certainly true for Nursing, Midwifery, Radiography etc. However, this is not the case for Primary Teaching (we closed our Education Pathway and put our students through Social Sciences instead).

I'm not familiar with building surveying, I would have thought an engineering pathway might have been more suited to your career path (although that is pure guess work based on the Maths component in it)

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending