Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura_beth)
    you must have been at the same interveiw date as i was, your interviewer sounds better though
    mine just kindof sat there and asked like 3 questions and then....nothing...
    he asked why i wanted to do maths, my favourite part, and then repeated the odd phrase from my personal statement, tried to elaborate, he then smiled and went back to reading it haha
    i didnt really know what to say so i just sat there smiling....

you planning on going there then?
    Tbh yours sounds quite similar to mine. Was yours a small Chinese guy? And when i say he asked questions, I mean that he started mumbling about a topic then I just rambled on about everything I know about it lol. Mine clearly hadn't read my personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deadgenius)
    Tbh yours sounds quite similar to mine. Was yours a small Chinese guy? And when i say he asked questions, I mean that he started mumbling about a topic then I just rambled on about everything I know about it lol. Mine clearly hadn't read my personal statement.
    YES! that was him!! did he ask you like three things and then just go, so do you have any questions......?

i was like....um...no....

and no he hadnt really read it, there were a few highlighted points on it though, so someone had...i just dont think it was him!!

but yes, i just rambled about anything he sort of mumbled about....:p:

ReputationRep:
    YES! that was him!! did he ask you like three things and then just go, so do you have any questions......?

i was like....um...no....

and no he hadnt really read it, there were a few highlighted points on it though, so someone had...i just dont think it was him!!

but yes, i just rambled about anything he sort of mumbled about....:p:
    yeah sounds identical to mine. He was a pretty rubbish interviewer tbh, I don't think he really wanted to do it lol. You heard anything from them yet?

ReputationRep:
    yeah sounds identical to mine. He was a pretty rubbish interviewer tbh, I don't think he really wanted to do it lol. You heard anything from them yet?
    yup, guess that is the bloke then! no he seemed like he just wanted to leave really...

yes got a weird letter on wednesday, telling me they were discussing it and i would hear soon, accomodation stuff would follow

then got an offer on thursday....ABBa

how about you?

ReputationRep:
    yup, guess that is the bloke then! no he seemed like he just wanted to leave really...

yes got a weird letter on wednesday, telling me they were discussing it and i would hear soon, accomodation stuff would follow

then got an offer on thursday....ABBa

how about you?
    Lol almost identical! Weird letter on Wednesday saying that they are considering sending me an offer, then in the next paragraph it says that they are giong to give me an offer.

Then Thursday, UCAS says ABB. Strange how they want an AS off you as well... is that for Further Maths?

ReputationRep:
    Lol almost identical! Weird letter on Wednesday saying that they are considering sending me an offer, then in the next paragraph it says that they are giong to give me an offer.

Then Thursday, UCAS says ABB. Strange how they want an AS off you as well... is that for Further Maths?
    hahahah, i was sat there like, erm what....? it was a badly written letter i must say...

yeah further maths AS, i guess you already take it for A level then?

ReputationRep:
    thought id bump this thread. got a letter stating ill receive another letter confirming my interview in January for maths and management. good luck to whoever has interviews coming up

ReputationRep:
    ooh, ive got a gv15 maths and philosophy interview on the 5th march.
    although its meant to be 'informal' im still bricking it

ReputationRep:
    I have my interview on the 16th for Maths with French. Anyone know if they ask about the "with" subject or just maths?
    Worst case scenario is a maths interview in french :eek: hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom1771)
    I have my interview on the 16th for Maths with French. Anyone know if they ask about the "with" subject or just maths?
    Worst case scenario is a maths interview in french hehe
    I have my interview on the 16th aswell, Maths with German. It seems to have come around so quickly, I have no idea how to prepare myself. I don't think they do ask about the "with" subject, unless its just a quick question asking why you wanted to do joint hons.

Do you know how long the interview is? I'm nervous, because I really want to go to Manchester!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice.Alice)
    I have my interview on the 16th aswell, Maths with German. It seems to have come around so quickly, I have no idea how to prepare myself. I don't think they do ask about the "with" subject, unless its just a quick question asking why you wanted to do joint hons.

Do you know how long the interview is? I'm nervous, because I really want to go to Manchester!
    I have an interview on Wednesday for Maths with German too

I've heard it's informal and pretty much everyone invited there gets an offer, but it won't hurt to prepare. I doubt all three of us applying for Maths+Language having our interview on the same day is coincidence, so they might well ask something about the language. I'm just speculating though, and I'm sure it won't be much if they do ask anything, as the interview is in the Maths building and the letters seem to only mention Maths. I don't think the interviews last very long but again I don't know for sure.

From asking others (just applying for Maths) it seems they ask the typical 'Why Maths/Manchester?' stuff as well as some Maths things (e.g. what's the quotient rule), nothing too strenuous though. I'm trying to learn my personal statement inside out so they can't catch me off guard, but other than that I don't know how to prepare :p:

Good luck to both of you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew_T)
    I have an interview on Wednesday for Maths with German too

Good luck to both of you!
    I might end up seeing you tomorrow then! I saw you've applied for Maths with German at Sheffield too, have you had a response from them yet? I sent my application on 9th October and its the only one i've not yet heard from, though I suppose it does need to process two departments. :confused:

Good luck tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice.Alice)
    I might end up seeing you tomorrow then! I saw you've applied for Maths with German at Sheffield too, have you had a response from them yet? I sent my application on 9th October and its the only one i've not yet heard from, though I suppose it does need to process two departments. :confused:

Good luck tomorrow
    No, I sent my application off on 16th October and Sheffield haven't given me anything yet I'm sure it will take longer to go through two departments so I hope that's the reason we haven't heard anything :p: Frustrating though...

Thanks, good luck to you too but hopefully we won't need it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigvik)
    me too ive gt it on the 3rd december for actuarial science and maths. just gt a departmental booklet from them this morning.
    Hey ive got an intervew for manchester for the same course in a couple of weeks.....how was your interview? did they ask hard questions??

ReputationRep:
    I went for an interview at Manchester and as soon as I got there they said that they'd give everyone here an offer... the interview was only to determine what the offer would be. They didn't really question much on maths, just asked some simple differentiation questions.
    However I am planning on doing at joint honour (Mathematics and Philosophy) so it could be different for other courses.
    I received my offer 3 days later and it was a lot lower than it had said it would be on the website so I was very pleased
    It's really nothing to be worried about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G Pizzle)
    Hey ive got an intervew for manchester for the same course in a couple of weeks.....how was your interview? did they ask hard questions??
    There's another thread for this but to answer your question; they didnt even ask me any maths questions so I wouldnt worry too much. I have heard they've asked to differentiate y = |x| and y = x^x to some people but you're guaranteed an offer so it doesnt matter too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    There's another thread for this but to answer your question; they didnt even ask me any maths questions so I wouldnt worry too much. I have heard they've asked to differentiate y = |x| and y = x^x to some people but you're guaranteed an offer so it doesnt matter too much.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview in Februaryyy for Maths,im nervous as i dont know what to expect ?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.