Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ah man ign and gamespot gave it crap review, so disappointed.

but overall positive reviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    repetitive like every single fps ever made, only this one is not an fps, it's something interesting, and there is more depth to the game mechanics than "shoot people"

people go bat **** insane over halo and the likes....
    Most FPSs atleast add new weapons and enemies later into the games to keep things from going stale.

Mirrors Edge appears to be nothing more than level after level of jumping off ledges and climbing up bars. Oh, and beating up the blues.

To be honest, the idea was flawed to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanx)
    Most FPSs atleast add new weapons and enemies later into the games to keep things from going stale.

Mirrors Edge appears to be nothing more than level after level of jumping off ledges and climbing up bars. Oh, and beating up the blues.

To be honest, the idea was flawed to begin with.
    i'm pretty sure you're actually serious here, not joking. in which case, this game is definitely not for you. there are however people who can handle a game where you aren't required to kill things every third second.

the idea, imo, was genius to begin with and executed perfectly. something that can very rarely be said about a game.

ReputationRep:
    ebay.co.uk in 3-4 months

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    i'm pretty sure you're actually serious here, not joking. in which case, this game is definitely not for you. there are however people who can handle a game where you aren't required to kill things every third second.

the idea, imo, was genius to begin with and executed perfectly. something that can very rarely be said about a game.
    I'm dead serious, and I'm probably still going to get the game because it looks pretty fun.

but the idea is flawed, I actually was interested in the fact the game is more about running away from people instead of guns blazing like most games. The reason the game is flawed is because the designers clearly didn't have enough creativity to evolve the concept as the game progresses.

Like I said, jumping off ledges can only keep a player interested for so long before their interest can twindle. Hence why I referred to FPS' atleast adding new guns and enemies as the game progresses.

A good game to compare Mirror's Edge to is Portal. Portal is by itself, an incredibly basic idea. You create two portals in order to pass obstacles. The way the game becomes more interesting is because the devs were creative in how they used this concept.

From what it seems, Mirror's Edge is all about jumping and sliding off/down ledges, the designers haven't tried to elaborate on this idea.

ReputationRep:
    I'm dead serious, and I'm probably still going to get the game because it looks pretty fun.

but the idea is flawed, I actually was interested in the fact the game is more about running away from people instead of guns blazing like most games. The reason the game is flawed is because the designers clearly didn't have enough creativity to evolve the concept as the game progresses.

Like I said, jumping off ledges can only keep a player interested for so long before their interest can twindle. Hence why I referred to FPS' atleast adding new guns and enemies as the game progresses.

A good game to compare Mirror's Edge to is Portal. Portal is by itself, an incredibly basic idea. You create two portals in order to pass obstacles. The way the game becomes more interesting is because the devs were creative in how they used this concept.

From what it seems, Mirror's Edge is all about jumping and sliding off/down ledges, the designers haven't tried to elaborate on this idea.
    it's a platformer... jumping from platform to platform is by definition what the game is about! i can't comment on the level design past the demo level, but it seemed good enough to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    it's a platformer... jumping from platform to platform is by definition what the game is about! i can't comment on the level design past the demo level, but it seemed good enough to me
    Yes, and even Mario knows how to splice new interesting mechanics into a game towards the end.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and even Mario knows how to splice new interesting mechanics into a game towards the end.
    have you played the whole game then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    have you played the whole game then?
    LOL I HAVE HAHA

and that's the beauty of it

[edit] Sorry, not the whole game, it's been leaked for ages.

ReputationRep:
    Received the game today from play.com (day before release). Anyone else played it?

ReputationRep:
    I played the demo, wasn't impressed with the graphics - the environments are so boring! They could have done a lot more with that aspect imo.

It's certainly original, although I did just seem to be pressing L1 over and over again. I'd probably rent it or buy it if it cost around the £5-10 mark and there was nothing else to play.

ReputationRep:
    Might be worth playing just for the Trophies..

Or what i mean is, rent it, play it through, earn the trophies, send it back..

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    I played the demo, wasn't impressed with the graphics - the environments are so boring! They could have done a lot more with that aspect imo.

It's certainly original, although I did just seem to be pressing L1 over and over again. I'd probably rent it or buy it if it cost around the £5-10 mark and there was nothing else to play.
    Yeah, the demo didn't sell itself to me at all.

Graphics were quite average. And for a game hyped up for sooooooooo long. :sleep:

ReputationRep:
    Mine arrived today (well, technically yesterday since it's 5am) and I've finished Chapter 4 which puts me about halfway through the story mode. It's obviously a short game but it's pretty damn challenging in places, even on Normal. Some parts are just plain old frustrating, though, and the checkpoints aren't that well placed. Plus, I sometimes have an unnecessarily hard time getting Faith to wallrun. Sometimes it seems more about luck, as I'm certain I'm doing it right. Combat needs work, but the point is to avoid it, lol. Good fun so far, though; really intense when you're getting chased.

And people moaning about graphics: don't be so dense. The simplicity is the whole point, with bold colours being the only prominent aspect. You see really vivid greens/blues past the demo level.

ReputationRep:
    I dont like it. Iv played 5 chapters and it gets tedius and grinding very fast. Its usually trial and error, however its quite simply and addictive. The story is alright, but i get frustrated at the constant trialling to do one bit of the level

ReputationRep:
    Completed it a few hours ago; good, but frustrating in places.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.