University timetables

Watch this thread
Anonymousspe
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi i want to know what the time tables would be like before i join uni this yr since i might do a part time job so i can know how to work while having time for uni. Do they change every week or? Im doing BioMedical science for reference
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymousspe)
Hi i want to know what the time tables would be like before i join uni this yr since i might do a part time job so i can know how to work while having time for uni. Do they change every week or? Im doing BioMedical science for reference
Depends on the course, some frequently change others are very routine.

In my experience I had a core timetable which stayed near identical week to week but every module would have a couple extra seminars/labs so 2-4 hours a week might change but the bulk was pretty consistent.

But every course and uni runs things differently...
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi!

Every university and course is different. But most suggest treating your course like a 9-5 job, which is roughly 40 hours per week.

in my experience timetables are usually the same each week and only change each semester/term as you start new modules.

You could just always contact the course/uni to find out how busy a timetable will be. They will most likely provide you with some idea about how many contact hours you will have per week.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The year is typically split into two blocks of teaching, and the timetabling for the two teaching blocks is likely to be different (as you generally study each module for one teaching block).

The university probably hasn't even started work on next year's timetables (and timetabling is a task of mammoth complexity), so the most information you could get at the moment would be a rough idea of how many contact hours you'll have per week. The actual scheduling of lecturers, practical sessions, etc for this year's students will be completely different from next year's students.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Anonymousspe you should receive your timetable when you are officially enrolled, and your timetable will show you week by week, until the very end of your course that year (you just have to keep clicking the right arrow to show next week). Most courses keep their timetable pretty consistent week by week (same lectures at the same times etc) but some weeks are different than others, for example some weeks are reading weeks and you have no uni lectures (this is a great time to do your assignments) or there might be an elective module starting which would change up your week, but you will know about this a couple weeks in advance. If something unforeseen happens or there are strikes a couple things might change too.

When you get your timetable, go through each week and write it all down in a diary. This will really help with planning things.

I also knew plenty of people with part time jobs and they all managed. Just make sure to prioritise your uni work

- Rosie
ChichesterStuRep
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey Anonymousspe!

This is a very popular question, you're definitely not alone in wondering this before you begin!

Unfortunately, I don't have a concrete answer for you, it varies so much according to the degree you're doing and at which university. If possible, try and contact a current student who is doing the course you'll be starting, for example some universities have student ambassadors on a web-platform called Unibuddy. They'll be the best people to ask

But I can say that no, your timetable won't change every week; a timetable will be set for a semester (aka a term). The first semester is typically mid-September until December, and then the second semester will be after Christmas from late January until about mid-May. Each semester will be a different timetable as you'll do different modules per semester.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions then feel free to ask away

Tom,
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni.
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi AnonymousspeI have three modules per semester which each have two hour lectures and two hour workshops so I have 12 hours of timetabled lessons a week. However, some universities run differently and do six modules at once rather than three split over the two semesters. My timetable stays the same each week but again each university works different. I would recommend getting in contact with the universities you are interested in to see how they work.

All the best
Kasey - ULaw Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
28.02%
As I expected (72)
31.03%
Harder (87)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.45%

Watched Threads