Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm analysing a poem that ends with the line "for ever and a day"...

I looked the line up, and it is from The Taming of the Shrew. I know it's a relatively common saying, but I'm pretty sure in this case it's a direct reference to Shakespeare.

The line is said by Biondello, and the whole dialogue reads:

"I cannot tell; expect they are busied about a
    counterfeit assurance: take you assurance of her,
    '*** privilegio ad imprimendum solum:' to the
    church; take the priest, clerk, and some sufficient
    honest witnesses: If this be not that you look for,
    I have no more to say, But bid Bianca farewell for
    ever and a day."

My problem is I have not read the play and have no time to do it (the essay is due pretty soon)... I was wondering if someone could help me out with notes or ideas (even the plot summary of why Biondello says this: does he actually get Bianca? is he inlove with her? why is he saying good bye?)

So basically anything you come up with that relates somehow to this line and its meaning within the play (I've read a few critical essays so I know the plot and some of the main themes within it, just nothing on this particular line).

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (I'll be happy to rep! )

ReputationRep:
    i'm afraid i can't be of much help..i did coursework on this play for my as level and i've been to see it but i can't remember it in perfect detail

i'll try though;
    biondello is not in love with bianca, he is the servent of lucientio..and it's lucientio who is in love with bianca..i don't think he is saying goodbye to bianca, i think he might be telling someone else to say goodbye to her
    this particular piece of text is from the scene where lucientio (or atleast lucientio's other servant pretending to be lucientio; complicated plot) and lucientio's father (someone they found on the street and made pretend to be his father..) are meeting with bianca's father, it is said to the real lucientio once bianca's father has left

that's all i can really fathom, i'm not sure if it helps..

ReputationRep:
    Love the play. Basically as said before, Biondello is Lucentio's (a man who is very much in love with Bianca) servant - and in this scene, is telling Lucentio that the marriage between his master and Bianca has been arranged. B is saying to L that he can have the woman, if this is what he wants, and he should get to the church - but if not, he will never see Bianca again.

ReputationRep:
    I. put the screw. in the tuna.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.