Aqa a level biology

Watch this thread
Lucy.may2
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Made this to talk about any last minute revision strategies anybody may have and whether you do past papers or topic qs based on the advanced info . We can also help eachother out here
bryophyte
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
I'm making active recall Qs on the advance info but finding exam/exam-style questions to base them on. Really useful for the morning of the exam too :')
I also do 30 mins of past paper questions per day, but I'm through all the AQA ones now so doing other specs too. Sending productive vibes!
Spelunker
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
basically what im doing is revising for each exam seperately. so currently only doing revision on paper 1 topics. its easier because of the topic list and cuz im not looking for an amazing grade im not bothering with other topics not on topic list that might come in 1 or 3 mark questions. this is basically how i've revised for all my in class tests and mocks and it worked for me then. i watched mrs estruch's video on the whole of paper 1 topics which was REALLY helpful. i recommend. tbh im convinced "proper revision" is a scam cuz i only need to remeber this information for 1 day and then its gone. just putting it all in my short term memory works for me
Lucy.may2
Rep:
(Original post by bryophyte)
I'm making active recall Qs on the advance info but finding exam/exam-style questions to base them on. Really useful for the morning of the exam too :')
I also do 30 mins of past paper questions per day, but I'm through all the AQA ones now so doing other specs too. Sending productive vibes!
Really good strategies! So you dont bother with past papers, just the past paper topic questions?
Lucy.may2
Rep:
(Original post by Spelunker)
basically what im doing is revising for each exam seperately. so currently only doing revision on paper 1 topics. its easier because of the topic list and cuz im not looking for an amazing grade im not bothering with other topics not on topic list that might come in 1 or 3 mark questions. this is basically how i've revised for all my in class tests and mocks and it worked for me then. i watched mrs estruch's video on the whole of paper 1 topics which was REALLY helpful. i recommend. tbh im convinced "proper revision" is a scam cuz i only need to remeber this information for 1 day and then its gone. just putting it all in my short term memory works for me
That makes sense tbh, but if your a level has to do something with what u want to do at uni, then you might need to know the knowledge for a while. Butttt others may argue that the summer after a levels youll probably forget most of what u did anyway
bryophyte
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lucy.may2)
Really good strategies! So you dont bother with past papers, just the past paper topic questions?
Thanks! Ah I may have explained that badly. I do the past papers, with all the questions in order etc, but in 30 min chunks of time. Eg. today I did an OCR paper 2, questions 5-12
bryophyte
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Interesting! Totally get you on the short term memory point. Did you find mrs estruchs video detailed enough? I've only watched a few but feel she skims topics quite a lot.
Lucy.may2
Rep:
Thanks! Ah I may have explained that badly. I do the past papers, with all the questions in order etc, but in 30 min chunks of time. Eg. today I did an OCR paper 2, questions 5-12
Oh right, wishing u the best of luck with your exams
bryophyte
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
May I ask what you guys are learning in terms of outside-of-syllabus knowledge for essay in P3? I'm just learning a lot of details about cystic fibrosis and sickle cell disease to be able to use in any context, and then names of specific non-syllabus enzymes in respiration and photosynthesis. Not sure if this is enough?
bryophyte
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Oh right, wishing u the best of luck with your exams
Thank you, you too!!
Spelunker
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Interesting! Totally get you on the short term memory point. Did you find mrs estruchs video detailed enough? I've only watched a few but feel she skims topics quite a lot.
yeah they do skim a bit. but usually what i do is have my class handout booklet for the topic and my biology textbook and pause the video every so often to look more in depth of what she is talking about. i treat them kind of like an online lesson where the teacher is just going through the powerpoint and you have to do the actuall learning . doing some relevent questions at the end usually helps aswell!
Lucy.may2
Rep:
May I ask what you guys are learning in terms of outside-of-syllabus knowledge for essay in P3? I'm just learning a lot of details about cystic fibrosis and sickle cell disease to be able to use in any context, and then names of specific non-syllabus enzymes in respiration and photosynthesis. Not sure if this is enough?
I dont do extra reading because i feel like my specification biology knowledge is not as high as it could be yet, so it would be silly for me to read whats not on the spec. I think i could still achieve decent marks on the essay without extra reading i hope..
Lucy.may2
Rep:
I am so confused, iknow cell structure is on the spec, but is mitosis included or not?
Spelunker
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I am so confused, iknow cell structure is on the spec, but is mitosis included or not?
it says for paper 3 advanced information "all cells arise from other cells" and includes required prac 2 which is the plant root tip that includes mitosis, so i think it is.
Lucy.may2
Rep:
it says for paper 3 advanced information "all cells arise from other cells" and includes required prac 2 which is the plant root tip that includes mitosis, so i think it is.
Yeh you're right, i was asking for paper 1 but i realised its only in paper 3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (30)
27.52%
Take a gap year (17)
15.6%
Resit my exams (30)
27.52%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (16)
14.68%
I don't know yet (11)
10.09%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.59%

Watched Threads