The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
NNNNOOOOOOooooooo.......please....I beg you.........not another "ban smoking" thread again......I can't take it anymore..........*takes out revolver and points to temple*
Reply 2
i searched and i couldn't find one. i'm sorry
Reply 3
razormylight
i searched and i couldn't find one. i'm sorry

I trust you're not planning a career in research.
Reply 4
Howard
I trust you're not planning a career in research.

haha
Reply 6
personally, i think that it will be to hard for pubs to control whether people smoke or not.
would be brilliant if the ban does go ahead cos theres nothing i personally hate more than coming back from the pub and having ur clothes stink of cigarette smoke
Reply 7
Things have moved on a little since that thread notable Wetherspoons decision to ban smoking in its pubs. I have been to Dublin and been to the clubs and pubs there, the smoking ban seems to work extremely well. I have also visited two non smoking pubs in Manchester and they are always really busy. In fact Sinclairs pub in Manchester city centre has reported an increase in sales since the ban.

As far as I am concerned I don't see why 75% of the population should have to suffer becuase of the 25% of smokers.

The sooner a public smoking ban comes in the better as far as I am concerned.

I cannot think of a single arugment to allow smoking in pubs and clubs.
Reply 8
amazingtrade
Things have moved on a little since that thread notable Wetherspoons decision to ban smoking in its pubs. I have been to Dublin and been to the clubs and pubs there, the smoking ban seems to work extremely well. I have also visited two non smoking pubs in Manchester and they are always really busy. In fact Sinclairs pub in Manchester city centre has reported an increase in sales since the ban.

As far as I am concerned I don't see why 75% of the population should have to suffer becuase of the 25% of smokers.

The sooner a public smoking ban comes in the better as far as I am concerned.

I cannot think of a single arugment to allow smoking in pubs and clubs.

Except 25% of the population like a fag with their pint.

Why does everything have to be so reactionist and extreme with the non smokers standard solution to a night out? If 75% of the population don't want to suffer in a smoking environment then that's fine.....ban smoking in 75% of pubs. Why ban it in every pub?
Reply 9
Howard

Why does everything have to be so reactionist and extreme with the non smokers standard solution to a night out? If 75% of the population don't want to suffer in a smoking environment then that's fine.....ban smoking in 75% of pubs. Why ban it in every pub?

I would quite happily see smoking only pubs, however you would have to have a special NHS card to gain entry and this card means that you would have to pay for treatment caused by smoking related dieseses. Now that would make real news! :p:
Reply 10
amazingtrade
I would quite happily see smoking only pubs, however you would have to have a special NHS card to gain entry and this card means that you would have to pay for treatment caused by smoking related dieseses. Now that would make real news! :p:

I think you'll find that smokers pay something like eight times more in taxes than the bill the NHS is faced with for treating the diseases caused by it. So on that basis smokers are actually subsidizing non-smoker's health care. Now that would make a headline!
Howard

Well firstly I know you don't view that as a serious suggestion.
Secondly they in essence i believe are - i think if and when the ban come sin it will only relate to pubs serving food, which will mean i think that some foods which now have a small trade in food, will stop selling food so as to allow smoking. I'm sure smoking bars/pubs will become more popular with smokers (though not with them exclusively) just like with gay bars etc.
I think it should be banned in all public places. If people want to smoke, that's fine- in the privacy of their own homes. Other people who don't want to damage their health by breathing it in and stink of cigarette smoke shouldn't have to.
Reply 13
Howard
I think you'll find that smokers pay something like eight times more in taxes than the bill the NHS is faced with for treating the diseases caused by it. So on that basis smokers are actually subsidizing non-smoker's health care. Now that would make a headline!

Have you actually got any concrete evidence of this that is not written in the Daily Star? I.e a medical journal or somthing?
Reply 14
foolfarian
Well firstly I know you don't view that as a serious suggestion.
Secondly they in essence i believe are - i think if and when the ban come sin it will only relate to pubs serving food, which will mean i think that some foods which now have a small trade in food, will stop selling food so as to allow smoking. I'm sure smoking bars/pubs will become more popular with smokers (though not with them exclusively) just like with gay bars etc.

Yes, I do actually. I'm deadly serious. There is absolutely no reason why some pubs could not be deemed "smoking bars" and others "tobacco free" and we could even solve which is which by introducing revolving licences amongst those pubs that wish to take part.

And of course it's possible. If you go to almost any smoking State in the US you will find cities that have passed a non-smoking ordinance (El Paso is a good example......want to smoke in El Paso bars?.....tough titties.....go to the next town) Why does everything in the UK have to big a big bloody national law....how about handing power to towns & counties to make decisions at a local level?

The problem is that the UK is about the most unimaginative country in the world when it comes to legislating and divulging power (it's more centrist than Stalin's USSR) It's all or nothing.....all smoking, or all ban.

Pathetic. Here we are talking about banning smoking while our blessed government is doing everything it can to encourage 24hour drinking.....that's really going to help in a country where binge drinking is about the highest in the world and the incidence of stranger v stranger violence is spiralling out of control on our vomit slick pavements.

Can't this government think coherently? Or are they just thick?
Reply 15
amazingtrade
Have you actually got any concrete evidence of this that is not written in the Daily Star? I.e a medical journal or somthing?

The concrete evidence you seek has been posted on here several times before, at least once by me, and several times more by others (and I believe it came from government stats; not the Star). Forgive me for not researching it for you again but it's easy to find should you wish to do so.
Reply 16
Howard
The concrete evidence you seek has been posted on here several times before, at least once by me, and several times more by others (and I believe it came from government stats; not the Star). Forgive me for not researching it for you again but it's easy to find should you wish to do so.

So are you seriusly suggesting that smoking funds the NHS?
Reply 17
complete public ban, as a first step
Reply 18
amazingtrade
So are you seriusly suggesting that smoking funds the NHS?

Of course it doesn't. All taxes in the UK go into a big melting pot (the treasury)and the various Departments then fight over their chunk (a bit like the "pork barrel" in the US in that regard) and for Gordon Brown's affections.

But I am saying that smokers pay around $9billion in taxes and the cost of smoking related illnesses is around $1.7billion leaving an excess of $7.3billion. I've no idea how that money is distributed but you can bet that some of it get's injected back into the NHS as it's about the largest line item on the government's budget.
Reply 19
Howard
Yes, I do actually. I'm deadly serious. There is absolutely no reason why some pubs could not be deemed "smoking bars" and others "tobacco free" and we could even solve which is which by introducing revolving licences amongst those pubs that wish to take part.

And of course it's possible. If you go to almost any smoking State in the US you will find cities that have passed a non-smoking ordinance (El Paso is a good example......want to smoke in El Paso bars?.....tough titties.....go to the next town) Why does everything in the UK have to big a big bloody national law....how about handing power to towns & counties to make decisions at a local level?

The problem is that the UK is about the most unimaginative country in the world when it comes to legislating and divulging power (it's more centrist than Stalin's USSR) It's all or nothing.....all smoking, or all ban.

Pathetic. Here we are talking about banning smoking while our blessed government is doing everything it can to encourage 24hour drinking.....that's really going to help in a country where binge drinking is about the highest in the world and the incidence of stranger v stranger violence is spiralling out of control on our vomit slick pavements.

Can't this government think coherently? Or are they just thick?

There is one very important reason you have overlooked as to why smoking should not be allowed in bars. The harm done to the staff working in the bars selling the beer and breathing in the poisonous fumes of the fags.

Employers are aware that the compensation costs resulting from claims for damage done to staff working in 'smokey joe's' is potentially colossal.

Smoking related damage is not confined to the lungs. Because smoke is carried through the body by blood, the damage is widespread, causing cancers in every single part of the body as well as the lungs.

Medical staff are aware that nearly every single patient on a medical ward will be there because of a disease that can be related to smoking, whether smoked or passively inhaled.

Smoking bans are not restricted to the government in this country. The bans are increasingly happening in other countries in the developed world. Why restrict it to small pockets of towns - if it needs to be done in A then it needs to be done from B - Z!

I sense the desperate rantings of an addict, Howie :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending