Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Your not forced to go into a smoking bar, it remains your choice. Therefore, I would find it an infringment on personal choice to ban smoking in pubs by law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Your not forced to go into a smoking bar, it remains your choice. Therefore, I would find it an infringment on personal choice to ban smoking in pubs by law.
    what about the rights/choice of those who have to work there.

before long it will be a health and safety offence i would expect.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is banned in almost every other workplace for health and safety reasons, why should those working in the bar and restaurant trade be discriminated against in this manner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Smoking is banned in almost every other workplace for health and safety reasons, why should those working in the bar and restaurant trade be discriminated against in this manner?
    exactly what i implied above.

of course, those who think its their "right" to destroy themselves, will also try to argue they should be allowed to harm others while they're at it.

in reality, they need protection from themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)

of course, those who think its their "right" to destroy themselves, will also try to argue they should be allowed to harm others while they're at it.

People whould be allowed to smoke in their own homes or outside, but not in confined spaces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razormylight)
    I've noticed that JD Wetherspoons is planning to gradually ban smoking in its pubs. I was curious to find out if people on TSR prefered pubs with/without a smoking ban?
    to be fair banning smoking in pubs would be wrong on so many levels! its part of being in a pub, that you are allowed to smoke and if they were to ban it then not only would they lose custom it would cause them to lose money as well. i dont think that they would be able to ban it in all pubs as it would cause an outrage in my opinion.

ReputationRep:

yes it is our right and our decision to smoke or not and that should be respected, not criticised by other people. and what are you talking about harming others while destroying ourselves. if you look into smoking properly and the effects it is actually statistically proven that passive smoking is relatively harmeless.

ReputationRep:
    Things have changed peoples attitudes towards smoking have changed, when the Manchester Evening News did a survery asking if they wanted a complete public ban in Mnahcester, not just pubs, 75% of people voted they did want a complete ban.

I am sick of being the person who has to leave a pub because my eyes are watering and I can't breath, let smokers be the people that leave for a change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    There is one very important reason you have overlooked as to why smoking should not be allowed in bars. The harm done to the staff working in the bars selling the beer and breathing in the poisonous fumes of the ****.

Employers are aware that the compensation costs resulting from claims for damage done to staff working in 'smokey joe's' is potentially colossal.

Smoking related damage is not confined to the lungs. Because smoke is carried through the body by blood, the damage is widespread, causing cancers in every single part of the body as well as the lungs.

Medical staff are aware that nearly every single patient on a medical ward will be there because of a disease that can be related to smoking, whether smoked or passively inhaled.

Smoking bans are not restricted to the government in this country. The bans are increasingly happening in other countries in the developed world. Why restrict it to small pockets of towns - if it needs to be done in A then it needs to be done from B - Z!

I sense the desperate rantings of an addict, Howie
    But what if the bar staff were themselves smokers and didn't obect to working in that environment? If 25% of the general population are smokers then I'd imagine that 25% of all bar workers are smokers too. I used to joint own a pub with my brother in North Herts and we didn't exactly find it difficult to find bar staff. I don't ever remember them saying "OMG it's too smokey in here" In fact, now I think of it they were pretty much all faggers anyway.

And yes, I am a smoker (no surprise there )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Smoking bans are not restricted to the government in this country. The bans are increasingly happening in other countries in the developed world. Why restrict it to small pockets of towns - if it needs to be done in A then it needs to be done from B - Z!
    So, if Ireland does it we must follow? I don't agree. I think this should be a town hall matter which it often is in the US and which seems to work very nicely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    To be honest, I'd be fair and let the landlord choose whether he wanted to consign himself to death by cancer or not.

I will just make a point of frequenting the pubs that don't allow smoking. That way, the smokers can carry on smoking themselves to death without having to worry about doing any detriment to others, and the non-smoking kinds can go to a cleaner pub and not stink in the morning. lalala.
    I think that's about the most reasonable contribution made on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Things have changed peoples attitudes towards smoking have changed, when the Manchester Evening News did a survery asking if they wanted a complete public ban in Mnahcester, not just pubs, 75% of people voted they did want a complete ban.

I am sick of being the person who has to leave a pub because my eyes are watering and I can't breath, let smokers be the people that leave for a change.
    So, 75% of people want an outright ban. That's hardly surprising since 75% of the population are non smokers. I wonder if they're one and the same group? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=~*sparkle*~]yes it is our right and our decision to smoke or not and that should be respected, not criticised by other people. and what are you talking about harming others while destroying ourselves. if you look into smoking properly and the effects it is actually statistically proven that passive smoking is relatively harmeless.[/QUOTE]

Quite. Which is why I am becoming so wearisome of the anti-smoking fascists who seem to think that one wasp's breath of 2nd hand smoke means instant cancer. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*sparkle*~)
    yes it is our right and our decision to smoke or not and that should be respected, not criticised by other people. and what are you talking about harming others while destroying ourselves. if you look into smoking properly and the effects it is actually statistically proven that passive smoking is relatively harmeless.
    stop talking crap and then you'll get a response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    So, 75% of people want an outright ban. That's hardly surprising since 75% of the population are non smokers. I wonder if they're one and the same group? :rolleyes:
    and funny that those who dont want a ban are generally smokers isnt it. one and the same...?

why should the majority have to suffer and pick and choose where they go and what they do to serve and appease the stupidity of the few?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Howard]
    (Original post by ~*sparkle*~)
    yes it is our right and our decision to smoke or not and that should be respected, not criticised by other people. and what are you talking about harming others while destroying ourselves. if you look into smoking properly and the effects it is actually statistically proven that passive smoking is relatively harmeless.[/QUOTE]

Quite. Which is why I am becoming so wearisome of the anti-smoking fascists who seem to think that one wasp's breath of 2nd hand smoke means instant cancer. :rolleyes:
    I presume you are talking about the tobacco company study that was publish recently. It has pretty much been completely derided due to fundamental flaws with the analysis. One cancer expert I know expressed his disbelief that the BMA could publish such work. The current opinion of the vast majority of researchers in this field is that passive smoking is harmful to health - pretty obvious really. We wouldn't be allowed to work or live in conditions with such high concentrations of dioxins and benzene if they were produced from other sources.

ReputationRep:

why should the majority have to suffer and pick and choose where they go and what they do to serve and appease the stupidity of the few?
    They wouldn't have to if we established and distinguished "smoking bars" from regular bars. (something you seem to find impossible to envisage) That way I can smoke and fart and drink to my hearts content in the Bricklayers Arms and you could fcuk off across the road and enjoy your orange juice in the smoke free environment of the Adam & Eve. Now what's so hard about that?

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't have to if we established and distinguished "smoking bars" from regular bars. (something you seem to find impossible to envisage) That way I can smoke and fart and drink to my hearts content in the Bricklayers Arms and you could fcuk off across the road and enjoy your orange juice in the smoke free environment of the Adam & Eve. Now what's so hard about that?
    Maybe it's because some people can't understand why someone would want inhale a cloud of toxic fumes and highly addictive narcotics? Especially whilst drinking (as this increases the chance of you getting cancer by 20 times).

ReputationRep:
    still neglects those who would be working in your pub.

basically, whether you like it or not, your position is the minority and advocates your right to damage other peoples health. in the end, it wont be tolerated.

its happening in ireland last year, italy in the last month, its only going to happen everywhere in time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    I presume you are talking about the tobacco company study that was publish recently. It has pretty much been completely derided due to fundamental flaws with the analysis. One cancer expert I know expressed his disbelief that the BMA could publish such work. The current opinion of the vast majority of researchers in this field is that passive smoking is harmful to health - pretty obvious really. We wouldn't be allowed to work or live in conditions with such high concentrations of dioxins and benzene if they were produced from other sources.
    Do you take me for a moron? I'm hardly likely to advance research paid for by Phillip Morris am I? :rolleyes: I'm actually referring to an independent study conducted by the University of California at Berkeley. (I did have the link and I'll try and find it for you)

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.