Stuttering & Work

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I had an anxiety attack, I was on my way home and I was on public transport where I felt dizzy and I sweated that much, my top was completely soaked. I knew I had an anxiety attack. Luckily, I got home safely.

From the anxiety attack I'm now suffering from a stutter. I can't make a full sentence, and I find it hard to get a word out. I had this issue before but it's only very rarely this would happen to me.

I took a day off from work and may need another day off too . I haven't told my boss about my speech as its embarrassing and I don't want to be treated differently.

I want to say that stuttering isn't a mental health problem, I know with rest I can get my speech back.

I'm having problems of what I can say to my boss, any useful advice?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I had an anxiety attack, I was on my way home and I was on public transport where I felt dizzy and I sweated that much, my top was completely soaked. I knew I had an anxiety attack. Luckily, I got home safely.

From the anxiety attack I'm now suffering from a stutter. I can't make a full sentence, and I find it hard to get a word out. I had this issue before but it's only very rarely this would happen to me.

I took a day off from work and may need another day off too . I haven't told my boss about my speech as its embarrassing and I don't want to be treated differently.

I want to say that stuttering isn't a mental health problem, I know with rest I can get my speech back.

I'm having problems of what I can say to my boss, any useful advice?
just don't think your gonna get judged, just go for it, I'm sure your boss will understand.
ellielo
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
I think the best you can do is to find a remote job and work from home. If it is possible of course or until you will be able to sort this out. We implemented that in our company and many of our stuff members are very happy about it.We can always send sms from slack when we need to reach out to our customers. I noticed we saved a lot of cash as we don't have to rent office and all the equipment anymore.
Last edited by ellielo; 4 weeks ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Stuttering might be classed as a disability if it meets the requirements of the equality act.

In any case in general I would say you shouldn't worry about it too much. Most people don't notice it a lot, and even when they are, working professionals aren't going to make fun of you or anything.

I'd say just talk to your boss in case you have any e.g. presentations you might need to make soon, in case they can be rescheduled or delegated to someone else, and otherwise just work as normal.

It might be something you want to discuss with your GP if it's causing you a lot of worry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads