The Student Room Group

York v Aberdeen v Liverpool? - Help

(Copied/pasted from an older thread)

How accurate are these in updated tables? I know all three Unis are great, but rankings aside I also want to hear opinions of just about everything; from campus life to prospects (Linguistics)

"Having averaged out the Meta World Rankings 2013/2014 (QS, TES, ARWU) and the UK media rankings (the Times 2014, the Complete Uni Guide 2015, the Guardian 2015), the following table is the result:"

1.University of Cambridge
2.University of Oxford
3.Imperial College London
4.London School of Economics and Political Science
5.University College London
6.University of Durham
7.University of Warwick
8.University of York
9.University of Birmingham
10.University of Edinburgh
11.University of Southampton
12.University of Bristol
13.University of Nottingham
14.University of Newcastle
15.University of Sheffield
16.University of Glasgow
17.University of Manchester
18.University of Leeds
19.King’s College London
20.University of Aberdeen
21.Queen Mary University of London
22.University of Liverpool
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Also, does it matter that Aberdeen is not a Russell Group? I know everyone seems to hate the RG discussion here, but I have parents that genuinely do care about the branding. I read that it is actually older than Liverpool and York..
Russell group unis are simply Postgrad research intense unis, irrelevant for Undergrad but if it’s a factor to consider, Aberdeen beats many RG unis

I went to Aberdeen and Durham, and Aberdeen was far superior in every way imaginable.

Durham lecturers were far more keen to get back to research than to teach and the quality (and difficulty) of my course was far more rigorous at Aberdeen, yet Durham (the RG) had harder exams tbf.

Like St Andrews uni, Aberdeen has been teaching since 1495, and with its’ leading world, domestic and course rankings, makes it as prestigious (if not more so) than many other unis you’ve listed. This is why it was named Scottish University of the year in 2019 and ranked by 2 ranking systems as top 20 in UK

The campus is a stunning mix of 15th century interwoven with 21st century Architecture (much of it award winning), and the city offers some of the best nights out in one of the UK’s safest cities.

The only downsides I can think of with Aberdeen are it’s location, however, by plane it’s 90mins from London, but me struggling to think of more downsides does show its’ attraction.

The careers service is also excellent which is why it is one of top in UK (Top 1 in 2016) for graduate employment (in addition to being top 5 in UK for student satisfaction)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by helpunipls
(Copied/pasted from an older thread)

How accurate are these in updated tables? I know all three Unis are great, but rankings aside I also want to hear opinions of just about everything; from campus life to prospects (Linguistics)

"Having averaged out the Meta World Rankings 2013/2014 (QS, TES, ARWU) and the UK media rankings (the Times 2014, the Complete Uni Guide 2015, the Guardian 2015), the following table is the result:"

1.University of Cambridge
2.University of Oxford
3.Imperial College London
4.London School of Economics and Political Science
5.University College London
6.University of Durham
7.University of Warwick
8.University of York
9.University of Birmingham
10.University of Edinburgh
11.University of Southampton
12.University of Bristol
13.University of Nottingham
14.University of Newcastle
15.University of Sheffield
16.University of Glasgow
17.University of Manchester
18.University of Leeds
19.King’s College London
20.University of Aberdeen
21.Queen Mary University of London
22.University of Liverpool

Don't fixate on rankings - they can offer a starting point for your subject research but that is all. In the end what matters is that you do a course that will interest you and you are in a place where you want to live for three years. As the other poster has said - Russell Group is a marketing ploy. You've missed some very good unis from your list - Bath, Lancaster, Exeter, Loughborough, Cardiff, etc.
(edited 1 year ago)
Ignore all 'rankings' and 'league tables etc - they are essentially bunkum.
They are designed to promote the newspapers who publish them, nothing more.

The fact that they don't agree with each other should tell you how unreliable they are - and no 'list' can ever tell you if you will enjoy that course or like being at that Uni. Go to some Uni Open Days and listen to all the presentations and make up your own mind. Each course at each Uni is different - no 'one list' can possibly reflect all these nuances.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Reply 5
Original post by normaw
Don't fixate on rankings - they can offer a starting point for your subject research but that is all. In the end what matters is that you do a course that will interest you and you are in a place where you want to live for three years. As the other poster has said - Russell Group is a marketing ploy. You've missed some very good unis from your list - Bath, Lancaster, Exeter, Loughborough, Cardiff, etc.

That's a list compiled from Meta ranking averages. They didn't make it to the list.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Ignore all 'rankings' and 'league tables etc - they are essentially bunkum.
They are designed to promote the newspapers who publish them, nothing more.

The fact that they don't agree with each other should tell you how unreliable they are - and no 'list' can ever tell you if you will enjoy that course or like being at that Uni. Go to some Uni Open Days and listen to all the presentations and make up your own mind. Each course at each Uni is different - no 'one list' can possibly reflect all these nuances.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

1 month after coming back to this thread I fear that I may be slightly radicalized by said rankings.
Hi, just want to start by saying I think it's definitely a good decision to have a look beyond the rankings. Every uni aims to have good rankings but picking where you want to study is a very personal choice so definitely worth considering more.

I would recommend having a look around this site for students of each of the unis you have offers from to see what the general consensus is.
It's also worth thinking about the cities and what appeals to you. Do you want to be close to or far away from family, do you want to be in a big or small city, are there things/places in that city that you're interested in or will be good for any hobbies you have; those sorts of factors should definitely be on your mind as well as the actual courses of each of the universities.
Then it would be worth having a look on each of our websites to see what appeals to you about the courses eg. course content, projects you will get to do through your degree, prospects upon graduation, that sort of thing. If it's of any use we have a form on our website for campus visits, but you can also use this to set up a call with an academic who may be able to give you more information about the course: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/campus-visit.php

I hope this information has been useful and all the best with coming to a decision!

Matthew, Enquiry Team

Quick Reply

Latest