english and history

Watch this thread
AA..
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so im in yr 10 and my mocks are coming quite soon, but im really not doing well in english or history. i used to be quite good but my grades have been worsening over the past year and i cant quite write the way i used to and im worried for these mocks. does anyone have any advice on how to revise for english or history gcse?
daveisbae
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
hi I'm sitting my gcses at the moment and I'm predicted 9s in both of these subjects so hopefully I can help. I would say for history stay on top of content however works best for you- flashcards, mindmaps etc and just try lots of practice questions- really get to know the question structure because its different for each paper. for English lit practice is best! re-read the texts your studying it really does help even if that seems like a lot of effort, learn your quotes- flashcards is great for this! try massolit lectures because they do some really good breakdowns and contexts of the text- especially if your aiming for a higher level. mr bruff on youtube does some good videos too. when writing a response use a set structure- i don't know what you've been taught but i do topic sentence, quote- analysis using key subject terminology (define- what does the word mean, explore- so what could this suggest and effects, connect- link to other parts of the book or another quote e.g if its an extended metaphor find where else its used) and do birds eye view and authors intention- get in context too- this can be historical or just deeper meanings. and honestly for English Lang- I don't really revise but practice papers are good- just know the structure of every question well.
AA..
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by daveisbae)
hi I'm sitting my gcses at the moment and I'm predicted 9s in both of these subjects so hopefully I can help. I would say for history stay on top of content however works best for you- flashcards, mindmaps etc and just try lots of practice questions- really get to know the question structure because its different for each paper. for English lit practice is best! re-read the texts your studying it really does help even if that seems like a lot of effort, learn your quotes- flashcards is great for this! try massolit lectures because they do some really good breakdowns and contexts of the text- especially if your aiming for a higher level. mr bruff on youtube does some good videos too. when writing a response use a set structure- i don't know what you've been taught but i do topic sentence, quote- analysis using key subject terminology (define- what does the word mean, explore- so what could this suggest and effects, connect- link to other parts of the book or another quote e.g if its an extended metaphor find where else its used) and do birds eye view and authors intention- get in context too- this can be historical or just deeper meanings. and honestly for English Lang- I don't really revise but practice papers are good- just know the structure of every question well.
ive used mr bruff in the past and found him really useful. weve been given set structures in class, but i tend to not use it in the stress of exams so ill keep this in mind and use it more often. our school has a subscription with massolit, so ill definitely check out their videos. thank you so much for the advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (1)
25%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (3)
75%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads