I have no clue what to do with my life

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys, I have been rejected by every university for radiology and in clearing and I feel sad. I really don't understand why. I ask them for a valid reason they just say its because of my interviews. I have practised many of my interviews my teachers and they said I have explained everything perfectly. These rejection suck and I have no clue what to do anymore as I don't want to do a gap year and look like a disappointment. I haven't told my parents about the rejection as they where upset about my previous 5 rejections. I dont know what to do and i feel the void taking over
Aiswaryar
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Im so sorry❤but dont worry as tbere are lots of options and I hope the very best for you
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aiswaryar)
Im so sorry❤but dont worry as tbere are lots of options and I hope the very best for you
Thank you
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Firstly, don't give up hope! You could ask your teachers for advice or try and find a university that has a radiology course with a foundation year or try and find slightly less traditional way into radiology - for example doing a different uni course and then transfer into radiology later or see if you can get radiology work experience. A gap year doesn't mean you are a disappointment, there are many people who do gap years for other reasons. Otherwise, you could try interview practice with a wider range of people (for example friends or family) and improve your interview skill that way. Hope this helps!
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you mean radiology or radiography? Radiology is a medical specialty so to become a radiologist you need to do a medicine degree - were you applying to medicine?

In any case you need to reflect on your feedback and on the interviews, to try and think about what went wrong and how to improve. You also need to look at it objectively as you do so and think carefully about what they asked and how you answered - were you actually answering their question, or just rattling off a practiced ramble which may not have been as relevant as you hoped, for example.

Also taking a gap year is not being a "disappointment", and if it's what's necessary to improve your application and make a successful application it would be a success - especially compared to the alternative of giving up (which would be disappointing for you at least I imagine)!
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi guys, I have been rejected by every university for radiology and in clearing and I feel sad. I really don't understand why. I ask them for a valid reason they just say its because of my interviews. I have practised many of my interviews my teachers and they said I have explained everything perfectly. These rejection suck and I have no clue what to do anymore as I don't want to do a gap year and look like a disappointment. I haven't told my parents about the rejection as they where upset about my previous 5 rejections. I dont know what to do and i feel the void taking over
Hi there,
That sounds tough, it's really good that you're asking the unis for feedback though so don't be afraid to keep asking for feedback! Taking a gap year does not make you a disappointment at all, plenty of people take them for various reasons. They can sometimes be a really good opportunity to develop your skills outside of studying. You could always look at college courses that you could take on radiology or other entrance level courses for your degree so that you can still begin learning about what you want to study.

Let me know how you get on!

Eleanor
- Student Ambassador
darkenedpatterns
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry to hear about this, but the good news is that there's loads of things you can do.

Perhaps you can push them for more specific feedback about your interviews.

If you can get a more specific idea of what has gone wrong, then you can start drafting a plan to address this and strengthen the relevant areas. Otherwise, perhaps you could get books on how to pass interviews and see if you can intuit where you might have gone wrong.

Once you have an idea what can be improved, then you can draft up a detailed plan. Grab a piece of paper and list every single aspect of what you need to work on to get pass your interviews. It could be behaviour, verbal skills, rapport with interviewer, body language, emotional regulation, etc. Keep the plan around you and read it regularly. Implement your plan on a daily basis by working on yourself and rehearsing mock interviews until you feel totally confident. Remember to enjoy it - alternate periods of work with periods of rest and reward.

In the meantime, you can turn your gap year into an immense positive. You can develop many skills that will help you create an awesome future. Maybe learn something you can monetise online (e.g. a service you could sell like graphics or writing) to help build up a good bit of money to support your studies.

You could even spend some time studying radiology textbooks so you hit the ground running once you get to uni. Doesn't have to be strenuous; you could keep it fun and spend a few minutes here and there each day. This might also help you impress interviewers since you'd have more knowledge to draw from.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (17)
29.82%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
38.6%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.51%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.02%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.28%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.75%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.75%

Watched Threads