Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How can I sketch y=xsinx and y=(sinx)/x and what do they look like? I have no idea where to start so can someone help me please?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Find x-intercepts, y-intercepts, stationary points, asymptotes? Find a few points on it to get a general idea of what it looks like?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try drawing a graph of sinx and then x (or 1/x) as an envelope and then multiply them together

You'll need to think about (sinx)/x at x = 0

(Original post by Rocious)
    Find x-intercepts, y-intercepts, stationary points, asymptotes? Find a few points on it to get a general idea of what it looks like?
    There are loads of stationary points (and they are shifted, not just the normal sin ones) and this just isn't a nice way of drawing these graphs

ReputationRep:
    F(x) for x --> + infinity = 0
    F(x) for x --> - infinity = 0
    F(x) for x --> 0+ = 1 (Proof for this is too extensive for me to cover it at this time of night, however, it should be in your textbooks?)
    F(x) for x --> 0- = 1

As x is close to infinity the absolute value of sin(infinity) is insignificant. However, the real value of sin(infinity) will change between -1 < x < 1. Hence, the function will 'go up and down' the x axis, going closer and closer to 0, for incredibly high or low values of x.

Edit: If you're in for more of a challenge, try sketching sin (1/x) for infinitesmal values of x!

ReputationRep:
    for this graph: f(x)=sinx/x ... the y achsis interception is 1 ... because it tends to be 1 ... the graph moves then closer and closer to the x-achsis... !

ReputationRep:
    O.o
    how would you draw the curve y = A ? => y= A sin(x) ? how would you draw y = x or y = 1/x? ? => y= x sin(x) ? or y= (1/x) sin(x) ?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.