R4V
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m having a dilemma. I’m year 13 taking a levels as we speak. I’ve just had a business paper 1 which went so bad I can’t believe it. It was the worst paper I’ve ever done. I’m predicted a B but all year I’ve been getting C/D. Not good. I enjoy the subject but writing answers I just can’t seem to do. Year 12 I was getting A/B. Although since the start of year 13 I’ve been struggling with mental health which has just obliterated my grades.

Anyways I’ve applied to unis and I don’t want to go to any of them. My ucas predicted is ABB but having just say that business exam 1/3 papers I think I’m gonna get a C. Now I’ve got my media exam tomorrow in my most recent mocks I’ve been getting High Bs/ As. As for my other subject I’ve already finished it and I’ve got an A (107/120) for photography. So I think for results day I’ll see ABC or AAC. Maybe even lower.

I don’t want to Resit for business but i probably will have to if I have any chance in getting into good unis. My GCSEs are fine apart from I got a 5 in maths. I’m qualified for contextual offers which lower the entry grades by 1 or 2. So places like Southampton that normally require AAA I can get in with ABB. however Since these popular unis are RG they all closed their applications.

Basically as of now idk where I wanna go uni anymore.. if ****ed my business exam up and I’m just unsure what to do. I know next year the uni repayment increases by 10 years which means applicants from 2023 onwards will end up paying their loan up to 40 years instead of 30 (works out around £15-20k more!).

I definitely want to go uni but I don’t want to just go to anyone I want to go to the best I can get into. With atm looks like Southampton but I need ABB and I doubt I can get into it now following business exam (also have to wait till next year). But if I get a C then I’ll just have to accept it and face the fact that I’ll have to go else where to another uni. I just don’t know where!

I want to study marketing btw.

Please help 😭
mounterz
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry to hear about how you felt with your paper. The best thing you can do is just get one exam done at at time and just do your absolute best. Exams are tough, and I'm certainly having a difficult time coping with the stress from it all, but whatever happens, happens. The papers have all been written for you, and there is nothing you can do but just give it your all. Relating back, you don't know that you "did badly" just yet, so try to be optimistic about it all. You can't let this one paper effect that next two, or the rest of your subjects. You can quite easily bring it back with paper 2 and 3 economics, so prove it!
You also still have time to decide whether you want to go to university or not...results day in fact, and then you can see how you truly feel with the grades you have and you might be surprised. If things aren't the way you hoped, you can always go through clearing and secure a place for uni this year - if you are really concerned about the plus 10 year repayment thing - but honestly, that should be the least of your concerns. I think the best thing for you is to just forget and focus on your next exams you still have plenty of time to smash these exams, and decide what you want to do after your a levels -

You can do this!
R4V
Rep:
(Original post by mounterz)
Sorry to hear about how you felt with your paper. The best thing you can do is just get one exam done at at time and just do your absolute best. Exams are tough, and I'm certainly having a difficult time coping with the stress from it all, but whatever happens, happens. The papers have all been written for you, and there is nothing you can do but just give it your all. Relating back, you don't know that you "did badly" just yet, so try to be optimistic about it all. You can't let this one paper effect that next two, or the rest of your subjects. You can quite easily bring it back with paper 2 and 3 economics, so prove it!
You also still have time to decide whether you want to go to university or not...results day in fact, and then you can see how you truly feel with the grades you have and you might be surprised. If things aren't the way you hoped, you can always go through clearing and secure a place for uni this year - if you are really concerned about the plus 10 year repayment thing - but honestly, that should be the least of your concerns. I think the best thing for you is to just forget and focus on your next exams you still have plenty of time to smash these exams, and decide what you want to do after your a levels -

You can do this!
Your right! With this playing on my mind it’s just hard to focus on them. But I’ll try my best. Focus time
iamwhoiam1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Worst case scenario: you don't get the grade you want
Explain to your university you've been struggling with your mental health. Build a case for yourself. If you have any medical records or had bereavement, they should understand.

Also, there are cases where you miss out by one grade and a university will still take you in. Remember that it's important to communicate why what happened did happen. If your personal statement is amazing, that may be a good enough reason alone for them to take you in despite your grade(s).

BUT... low self-esteem can really deteriorate your perception of things sometimes. Sometimes the hardest working ppl are the ones that criticise every little/big thing they did wrong/right. I beg you to at least give yourself room to surprise yourself. You may have done amazing. It's not unusual for people predicted one grade to get a grade higher in their real exam. After all, you are competing against a whole country.

Also, talk to your business teacher. During study leave, you can probably go to school and ask them for help during what are meant to be your timetabled lessons.

Also, I take Business Studies as well, so here's a list of advice:
-grab and pull from different areas of the specification
-USE YOUR CONTENT CHECKLIST!!!
-do time practice
-make flashcards with formulae on
-don't be afraid to use the pomodoro technique for revision
-List everything you need to learn/revise and allocate those chunks onto specific days on a calendar
R4V
Rep:
(Original post by iamwhoiam1234)
Worst case scenario: you don't get the grade you want
Explain to your university you've been struggling with your mental health. Build a case for yourself. If you have any medical records or had bereavement, they should understand.

Also, there are cases where you miss out by one grade and a university will still take you in. Remember that it's important to communicate why what happened did happen. If your personal statement is amazing, that may be a good enough reason alone for them to take you in despite your grade(s).

BUT... low self-esteem can really deteriorate your perception of things sometimes. Sometimes the hardest working ppl are the ones that criticise every little/big thing they did wrong/right. I beg you to at least give yourself room to surprise yourself. You may have done amazing. It's not unusual for people predicted one grade to get a grade higher in their real exam. After all, you are competing against a whole country.

Also, talk to your business teacher. During study leave, you can probably go to school and ask them for help during what are meant to be your timetabled lessons.

Also, I take Business Studies as well, so here's a list of advice:
-grab and pull from different areas of the specification
-USE YOUR CONTENT CHECKLIST!!!
-do time practice
-make flashcards with formulae on
-don't be afraid to use the pomodoro technique for revision
-List everything you need to learn/revise and allocate those chunks onto specific days on a calendar
I mean I have a perfect track record. All reports all scores from year one were great. I even managed to secure a internship over the summer with one of the big 4 financial banks and ofcom! My personal statement is very strong and that’s without sounding big headed but it’s true. Last year was a year of success for me it proved I can do it.

This year was the opposite but I’ve still got the hunger to be where I was last year and above. Just my health has ruined it all. I’m trying my best to recover all year it’s the final push now.

As for business I’ve learnt about pulling stuff from other places it works well. I can do everything but write the answers 😭 I just can’t seem to do it idk why my mind list goes blank. I do alot of practice it’s just a matter of more. After tomorrows exam in media I’m doing all out on it.
R4V
Rep:
As for unis they don’t really care it seems. They’ll give me a contextual offer which is already lowering my grades needed by 2 I don’t think they could give me anymore as “a lot of people experience it”. Which is true no exceptions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (16)
28.57%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
39.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.57%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.36%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.14%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.5%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.79%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.79%

Watched Threads