i need some hope lol

Watch this thread
ToGodly
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
basically, i really want to do law at uni of manchester and their requirements are A*AA. I do National Extended Certificate in Applied Law, National Extended Certificate in Information Technology, and A-Level Media Studies. is there any chance they would accept me? can someone look at the requirements again because I'm confused if they will or not? i have been rejected from uni of manchester on ucas ( but I have other conditional offers) but I was thinking to apply again on my results day where My aim is to get D*D*A. is there any hope they could make few changes if they have space available in the course?
Last edited by ToGodly; 4 weeks ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ToGodly)
basically, i really want to do law at uni of manchester and their requirements are A*AA. I do National Extended Certificate in Applied Law, National Extended Certificate in Information Technology, and A-Level Media Studies. is there any chance they would accept me? can someone look at the requirements again because I'm confused if they will or not? i have been rejected from uni of manchester on ucas ( but I have other conditional offers) but I was thinking to apply again on my results day where My aim is to get D*D*A. is there any hope they could make few changes if they have space available in the course?
So, just to recap - you've been rejected from Manchester and you are asking whether we think they might accept you?

What are your predicted grades on UCAS?
ToGodly
Rep:
(Original post by 04MR17)
So, just to recap - you've been rejected from Manchester and you are asking whether we think they might accept you?

What are your predicted grades on UCAS?
D*, D*, B. Ye I thought what if I try to get the best results and apply again? I mean I know how unlikely is that but might as well give a try if there is a chance
04MR17
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
D*, D*, B. Ye I thought what if I try to get the best results and apply again? I mean I know how unlikely is that but might as well give a try if there is a chance
Okay, so if you got D* D* A on Results day you could ring up and see if they have any spaces left. This is called clearing and lots of people do it.

However, for a law degree - they're pretty much the same anywhere so I would have several options prepared in advance in case Manchester won't take you.

What are your career goals?
skylark2
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
They've already rejected you.

They only take your BTEC qualifications when combined with an A* at A level.

Manchester didn't go into clearing at all last year, for any course.

You are not going to Manchester next year. You're not. It's time to think about whether you want to go somewhere that has made you an offer, whether you want to try going through clearing (which, you need to face, will not be for one of the top universities, not for law), or whether you want to take a gap year and try again. If that "try again" includes Manchester, you need to do something to get an A* in your A level because otherwise you don't meet the requirements.
Last edited by skylark2; 4 weeks ago
ToGodly
Rep:
Okay, so if you got D* D* A on Results day you could ring up and see if they have any spaces left. This is called clearing and lots of people do it.

However, for a law degree - they're pretty much the same anywhere so I would have several options prepared in advance in case Manchester won't take you.

I definitely wanna go in law field… but I guess they rejected me because I only do 1 A level however I do have offers from other Russel group unis. Ye I will ring them and give it a try.. if they still say no then I do have Manchester metropolitan lol
Son of the Sea
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
If they’ve already rejected you then it’s a no, and I doubt a prestigious uni such as Manchester will have spaces for law in clearing. Is it not worth taking a gap year to retake, get your grades up and apply again?
04MR17
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I definitely wanna go in law field… but I guess they rejected me because I only do 1 A level however I do have offers from other Russel group unis. Ye I will ring them and give it a try.. if they still say no then I do have Manchester metropolitan lol
It's one choice out of four. Whether something is Russell group or not is also not relevant at all for Law.
I advise reading these two articles, which should be of use:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/job...utes-in-to-law
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/job...d-related-work
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
hi, i also want to do law at university and i have a few questions if anyone would mind answering
currently im doing my gcses, and i'm just wondering if my a level subjects and my gcse predicted grades (will update on 25th august) are acceptable for a good university. in french maths and re i was a few marks away from the next grade
english lang 8
english lit 9
re 7
french 8
maths 8
chemistry 8
biology 7
physics 7
music 9
and i'm planning to do english lit, politics and psychology next year. would've wanted to do history but the sixth form won't let me because i haven't picked it at gcses.
(just from seeing previous threads, i noticed people comment on simple things like grammar etc intensely- so apologies for the lack of capital letters)
ToGodly
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymous)
hi, i also want to do law at university and i have a few questions if anyone would mind answering
currently im doing my gcses, and i'm just wondering if my a level subjects and my gcse predicted grades (will update on 25th august) are acceptable for a good university. in french maths and re i was a few marks away from the next grade
english lang 8
english lit 9
re 7
french 8
maths 8
chemistry 8
biology 7
physics 7
music 9
and i'm planning to do english lit, politics and psychology next year. would've wanted to do history but the sixth form won't let me because i haven't picked it at gcses.
(just from seeing previous threads, i noticed people comment on simple things like grammar etc intensely- so apologies for the lack of capital letters)
What’s the question tho? Anyways the grades are really good but Universites care more about your A level results rather than GCSEs as long as you pass maths and English. If you wanna go to Oxford then that’s different but most good Russel group uni only care about A levels. That’s good A levels you have picked… just remember the requirements needed to do law for your fav uni and try to achieve that. Usually is AAA needed to do law so aim for that. And you don’t need to do law at college to do it in uni. As long as your courses are similar. Good luck!
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
What’s the question tho? Anyways the grades are really good but Universites care more about your A level results rather than GCSEs as long as you pass maths and English. If you wanna go to Oxford then that’s different but most good Russel group uni only care about A levels. That’s good A levels you have picked… just remember the requirements needed to do law for your fav uni and try to achieve that. Usually is AAA needed to do law so aim for that. And you don’t need to do law at college to do it in uni. As long as your courses are similar. Good luck!
ah sorry for not making the question clear- it was simply if my grades and options for next year are suitable for good universities.
i see, thank you for your insight- i was slightly stressing over my options because i've seen people say i need 2 traditional subjects to do law at a decent university- history and english literature for instance. AAA sounds quite reasonable. have a good evening
ToGodly
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymous)
ah sorry for not making the question clear- it was simply if my grades and options for next year are suitable for good universities.
i see, thank you for your insight- i was slightly stressing over my options because i've seen people say i need 2 traditional subjects to do law at a decent university- history and english literature for instance. AAA sounds quite reasonable. have a good evening
What’s a decent university for you? For example university of Manchester where I wanna go require A*AA but there is other uni who require AAB but typically if you get AAA you always in safe zone. And I don’t know who said traditional subjects are needed as long as your subjects are like essay based, require critical thinking it would be fine. Politics is perfect for speaking skills, English is also perfect for writing skills. It’s the skills that you get matter. In my opinion I wouldn’t pick history unless you love doing it. So I think you have decent courses to get into decent unis.
Last edited by ToGodly; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
What’s a decent university for you? For example university of Manchester where I wanna go require A*AA but there is other uni who require AAB but typically if you get AAA you always in safe zone. And I don’t know who said traditional subjects are needed as long as your subjects are like essay based, require critical thinking it would be fine. Politics is perfect for speaking skills, English is also perfect for writing skills. It’s the skills that you get matter. In my opinion I wouldn’t pick history unless you love doing it. So I think you have decent courses to get into decent unis.
A decent university would be such as UCL, Imperial, Manchester as you say, I don't know too much about universities (clearly) but I'd imagine it'd be one with ABB-A*AA requirements typically, of course I'm not talking about the highly respected ones such as LSE or Oxford. Yeah, I've come to terms that me not doing History a level is probably for the best as it would be a huge jump from GCSE and from someone who doesn't seem too interested in the topics covered it's better be getting an A in psychology for instance than a C in History. I'm quite excited for Lit and Politics but I'm a bit unsure about Psychology but I have an induction day soon after my exams so I'm sure I'll feel more confident in my options then. Thank you for helping me although I'd have love to help you on your query but I'm not even near sure of anything to that matter so it wouldn't be wise to comment. However you could talk to someone on admissions from Manchester or from ucas and see if that helps?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads