Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

keep anon for personal reasons.

my aunt has been married to her husband for 10 years. she has two kids ages 9 and 3. she lives with her in-laws, as well as her brother in-law and sister in-law.

she has been a victim of domestic violence (emotionally), so she has been taking a off-the-shelf medicine (anadol and paracetemol) because of the stress. the family had recently experienced a few problems (tensions and regular family problems), which were all blamed on my aunt. then her husband turned on her and blamed all the problems on her, which caused her to lock herself in the bathroom and try to commit suicide. she took 34 paracetemol tablets (which cannot kill you, but the hospital still decided that it was an atempt to commit suicide - which is true).

she has been admitted into hospital and should be fine but is really worried (and she cannot stop crying) at the possibility of not geting to see her kids if she decided to divorce her husband - so she is actually considering going back to him :eek:

her husband will claim that my aunt is unstable, crazy and an unfit mother - which she is not, she only took the tablets because of the stress and she only tried to commit suicide because she was shocked by the fact that her husband turned on her.

the kids are with their father, however my aunt will be discharged from hospital tomorow and will be living at her parents house for the time being, therefore she would like to bring the kids to her parents' house - how would this be done (i don't think the father is going to let them go!)

and can anyone confirm that she will get her children if she decided to divore this man. by this i mean the children will be with her on weekdays at least.

she asked me to get some quick advice, so please someone help me.

how will her case to see her children be in court be. if you know any similar cases to this, please state them. i don't knwo much about the law so please explain as much as you can and do not hesistate to ask any further questions.

thank you

ReputationRep:
    Check out some proper websites

I imagine unless she gets the authorities involved then the man can keep the kids unless they agree something informally.

If they do divorce she will probably get the kids IF she has a proper home environment

(Original post by Anonymous)
    keep anon for personal reasons.

my aunt has been married to her husband for 10 years. she has two kids ages 9 and 3. she lives with her in-laws, as well as her brother in-law and sister in-law.

she has been a victim of domestic violence (emotionally), so she has been taking a off-the-shelf medicine (anadol and paracetemol) because of the stress. the family had recently experienced a few problems (tensions and regular family problems), which were all blamed on my aunt. then her husband turned on her and blamed all the problems on her, which caused her to lock herself in the bathroom and try to commit suicide. she took 34 paracetemol tablets (which cannot kill you, but the hospital still decided that it was an atempt to commit suicide - which is true).

she has been admitted into hospital and should be fine but is really worried (and she cannot stop crying) at the possibility of not geting to see her kids if she decided to divorce her husband - so she is actually considering going back to him :eek:

her husband will claim that my aunt is unstable, crazy and an unfit mother - which she is not, she only took the tablets because of the stress and she only tried to commit suicide because she was shocked by the fact that her husband turned on her.

the kids are with their father, however my aunt will be discharged from hospital tomorow and will be living at her parents house for the time being, therefore she would like to bring the kids to her parents' house - how would this be done (i don't think the father is going to let them go!)

and can anyone confirm that she will get her children if she decided to divore this man. by this i mean the children will be with her on weekdays at least.

she asked me to get some quick advice, so please someone help me.

how will her case to see her children be in court be. if you know any similar cases to this, please state them. i don't knwo much about the law so please explain as much as you can and do not hesistate to ask any further questions.

thank you
    You might not get any professional advice although they are a couple of Lawyers and Baristers that use the Law forum so maybe you should post there but you won't be able to go anon.

Also, im sure you could get some free legal advice from a couple of law firms or something

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to pop down to her local Citizens Advice Bureau and don't forget to tell her that confidentiality is guaranteed.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Well firstly
    She needs to get in touch with the social services my mum her self tried to commit suicide due to depression and mainly coming from the family , most people may think social services is really for the low class CHAVVY people but not really they can help you all round , they will allow the kids to see the parent as long as the kids themselves wish too.so get intouch with the social services tell them the story etc. they will help in some way im 100% sure! tc

(Original post by sleekchic)
    You might not get any professional advice although they are a couple of Lawyers and Baristers that use the Law forum so maybe you should post there but you won't be able to go anon.

Also, im sure you could get some free legal advice from a couple of law firms or something
    i do know what you mean, but its sunday tomorow so all of them are probably going to be closed. i'm just looking for some quick advice you see. but i will tell her to go down to the lawyers.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    i do know what you mean, but its sunday tomorow so all of them are probably going to be closed. i'm just looking for some quick advice you see. but i will tell her to go down to the lawyers.
    I am saying that if you post in the Law forum someone might be able give you some advice but you wouldn't be able to post anon so that's a bit of a problem.

You should get your mum to go to the Citizens Advice Bureau but they might not be able to give legal advice as it depends on the type of advisors have they there. If they do have legal advisors then they will give your mum some advice.

(Original post by Zen3000)
    they will allow the kids to see the parent as long as the kids themselves wish too.
    this is another problem, her in-laws are evil! i think they may be brain washing her 9 year old son! when my aunt called her husband (on the phone) and spoke to her son (after many arguments with husband in being able to do so), her son asked her "mum why have you been taking tablets?" :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm i see.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I wish I could help, but I'm no family law genius... However, domestic abuse is a pretty hot topic atm, there's plenty of elp available. Although she's a victim of domestic abuse, not violence- important point. Regarding the children, if she was their main carer, and is not deemed mentally ill, then in all probability they will stay with her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    I am saying that if you post in the Law forum someone might be able give you some advice but you wouldn't be able to post anon so that's a bit of a problem.

You should get your mum to go to the Citizens Advice Bureau but they might not be able to give legal advice as it depends on the type of advisors have they there. If they do have legal advisors then they will give your mum some advice.
    What do you mean they wont be able to give legal advice ? Do you know what the C.A.B does right ?

anyone else??

(Original post by Guvnor)
    What do you mean they wont be able to give legal advice ? Do you know what the C.A.B does right ?

I did voluntary work there over the summer so I do know. They can only give legal advise like the OP wants if there are lawyers or law graduates or have extensive understanding of the Law that volunteer at the OP's local centre

They could give you basic legal advice like telling you your rights in certain situations like repossessions and this is only after looking them up.

Maybe it's just the one I volunteered at but they had no legal knowledge whatsoever and what little they gave clients came from my own little legal knowledge and I am not yet a law student or they gave cleints list of solicitors in my local area to call.

Besides the C.A.B is not a legal clinic it gives advice not specifically legal.

OP, I suggest you search online for Legal Clinics in your local area as they may be able to help you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.