Which is more effective overall: topic papers or past papers?

Watch this thread
yogwei
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m in Year 10 and I’ve been wondering this for a while now so have decided to seek for advice.

Which is better: topic papers or past papers?

Now already, I’m thinking that topic papers are better because you can focus on a specific topic you are struggling on. I use topic papers on pmt and they seem relatively helpful. However, I’m wondering if doing full blown past papers is actually more efficient due to it being more like the GCSE exam and packed with more content.

Help would be deeply appreciated.
Last edited by yogwei; 1 month ago
EdwardKnows
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by yogwei)
I’m in Year 10 and I’ve been wondering this for a while now so have decided to seek for advice.

Which is better: topic papers or past papers?

Now already, I’m thinking that topic papers are better because you can focus on a specific topic you are struggling on. I use topic papers on pmt and they seem relatively helpful. However, I’m wondering if doing full blown past papers is actually more efficient due to it being more like the GCSE exam and packed with more content.

Help would be deeply appreciated.
Stick to doing all the topic questions first so you understand the material and know your weakest points within the topic. After revisiting these areas and revising these problem areas, all areas (emphasis there), then try a past paper so it is a true test of your understanding and what you know. Then you can see where you struggled again. Revise these areas more then try another past paper.

- Why leave the past paper for last?
Because there will be topics you may not truly understand or you haven't gotten to revising. So you won't answer them as well as you could have. Hence, you get a negative feeling on your progress and understanding. But having already used the question, and marking what you did write, you now know the answer and it is no longer a test of what you really understand. I hope you get what I mean. This is very bad for maths where you need to figure out and understand what processes to use and when. But for science or essay based exams, these 'spent' questions can help make very good flashcards that you can revisit.
Hopefully that answered your question well enough.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (24)
32.88%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (34)
46.58%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
19.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.37%

Watched Threads