Economics Second Year Student

Watch this thread
Econ- student 13
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So im a second year student at NTU, I spent the whole of early 2022 applying to a range of finanical based/consulting placements and internships to a range of firms. The furthest i was able to reach was a few phone call interviews. I have been rejected by 10 different businesses and I am just so lost. Shall I reapply again during my third year rather than apply for grad. Schemes? Shall I do a masters which seems very expensive? What am I actually missing that leads me to fail these applications.I got an A in maths at A level and a B and a C and do Economics (BA) at Nottingham Trent University. My goal was to go to a bigger uni but my grades were predicted so that was off the table…Does anyone have any advice and what I should look out for to ensure I get employed at a well paying fir
BenRyan99
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Econ- student 13)
So im a second year student at NTU, I spent the whole of early 2022 applying to a range of finanical based/consulting placements and internships to a range of firms. The furthest i was able to reach was a few phone call interviews. I have been rejected by 10 different businesses and I am just so lost. Shall I reapply again during my third year rather than apply for grad. Schemes? Shall I do a masters which seems very expensive? What am I actually missing that leads me to fail these applications.I got an A in maths at A level and a B and a C and do Economics (BA) at Nottingham Trent University. My goal was to go to a bigger uni but my grades were predicted so that was off the table…Does anyone have any advice and what I should look out for to ensure I get employed at a well paying fir
Sorta difficult to give advice without you talking about which sort of firms you're applying to, where, what your career goals are and what you consider to be a "well paying firm".

First thing to note though is that you only applied to 10 firms, this seems very low to me. Both myself when I was applying for these sort of things, as well as friends, all applied to way way more firms. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the average successful applicant to economics/finance internships apply to less than 30-40 companies.
Econ- student 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BenRyan99)
Sorta difficult to give advice without you talking about which sort of firms you're applying to, where, what your career goals are and what you consider to be a "well paying firm".

First thing to note though is that you only applied to 10 firms, this seems very low to me. Both myself when I was applying for these sort of things, as well as friends, all applied to way way more firms. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the average successful applicant to economics/finance internships apply to less than 30-40 companies.
Believe me I applied to 25+ companies ranging from big to small. Well im considering anything to do with the finance/consulting industry, this includes audit, tax, corporate finance etc… and my goal is to work my way up within one of these financial firms … would u mind telling me about your story? Your placement your A-level grades etc?
BenRyan99
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Believe me I applied to 25+ companies ranging from big to small. Well im considering anything to do with the finance/consulting industry, this includes audit, tax, corporate finance etc… and my goal is to work my way up within one of these financial firms … would u mind telling me about your story? Your placement your A-level grades etc?
Is the problem that you don't know where you're going wrong, or is that you know the problem but no the solution?

Ultimately, the main recruiting period is in autumn so you've probably missed your chance for anything this summer or for a placement, unless you can arrange something with a smaller firm that's more flexible. Personally I'd recommend wealth management firms, have heard they're the most flexible. Reckon your best stray would probably be to practice lots of the numerical/verbal/psychometric/SJT tests that firms use nowadays over the summer. Worth also remembering that a non-i significant proportion of finance firms have informal minimum a-level requirements of AAB/ABB (esp the banks and better consulting firms). Would also recommend creating a great big long list of firms you plan to apply to in a spreadsheet, along with links to their career pages and note down the application deadlines and what stage you're at as you go. Would also recommend applying to some public sector organisations, as well as diversifying the type of sectors (e.g. real estate, economics, wealth management, etc) beyond the typical big4 type roles like audit, tax and advisory.

Got A*A*A*AA in maths, FM, Econ, Politics and Geog. Did Maths and Econ at LSE. Did a bunch of internships in finance and econ, accepted an offer to return upon graduation in IBD M&A for a US bank, stayed for 2yrs then went back uni to do a master's and I'm just finishing the first year of a PhD and am starting a role as a macro strategist in September (never planned to do the full PhD, just wanted to do the PhD classes prior to the research stage)
Last edited by BenRyan99; 4 weeks ago
Econ- student 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BenRyan99)
Is the problem that you don't know where you're going wrong, or is that you know the problem but no the solution?

Ultimately, the main recruiting period is in autumn so you've probably missed your chance for anything this summer or for a placement, unless you can arrange something with a smaller firm that's more flexible. Personally I'd recommend wealth management firms, have heard they're the most flexible. Reckon your best stray would probably be to practice lots of the numerical/verbal/psychometric/SJT tests that firms use nowadays over the summer. Worth also remembering that a non-i significant proportion of finance firms have informal minimum a-level requirements of AAB/ABB (esp the banks and better consulting firms). Would also recommend creating a great big long list of firms you plan to apply to in a spreadsheet, along with links to their career pages and note down the application deadlines and what stage you're at as you go. Would also recommend applying to some public sector organisations, as well as diversifying the type of sectors (e.g. real estate, economics, wealth management, etc) beyond the typical big4 type roles like audit, tax and advisory.

Got A*A*A*AA in maths, FM, Econ, Politics and Geog. Did Maths and Econ at LSE. Did a bunch of internships in finance and econ, accepted an offer to return upon graduation in IBD M&A for a US bank, stayed for 2yrs then went back uni to do a master's and I'm just finishing the first year of a PhD and am starting a role as a macro strategist in September (never planned to do the full PhD, just wanted to do the PhD classes prior to the research stage)
I wish I had a figure like you to show me the routes. Thank you so much for your help. Well done for all your amazing grades etc. I aspire to be as succesful and progressive as you!
BenRyan99
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I wish I had a figure like you to show me the routes. Thank you so much for your help. Well done for all your amazing grades etc. I aspire to be as succesful and progressive as you!
Well it's all a bit of a mixture of luck and hard work. Anyhow, better to not compare yourself to others, rather you should compare yourself to how good you were last year and see the progress you've likely made. Happy to answer any further questions on here or by msg
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
27.9%
As I expected (73)
31.33%
Harder (87)
37.34%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.43%

Watched Threads