Not feeling good enough for top universities

Watch this thread
Back2Uni2021
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey all,

This is a bit of a weird post.

I'm near to completing an access to nursing course in my thirties. When I was younger, I used to be average, getting B's and C's, sometimes lower, in my GCSE and Alevels. I've managed to get enough distinctions in my access course, and have offers from KCL, UoM and UoL. I need to firm one...I would love to study at KCL or Manchester, but academically I don't feel good enough to go there (lol). I'm just scared that I'll struggle with the academic work (I've worked blooming hard to get my distinctions), given that you are expected to already be 'at that level'. So, is this imposter syndrome or has anyone gone to these top universities (coming from an average background) and found it not as bad as you thought? Yes, I do have confidence issues

Thanks
Angela1001
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
All nursing degrees cover the same course as they are all ratified by the RCN, so the work should be the same where ever you go.
PaladinTris
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I study at the University of Edinburgh and definitely had those feelings before I began my degree! Despite doing academically well at school, I did not do so good in exams and got mostly Cs for my Highers/Advanced Highers. I started on an Access Course in 2018 when I was 26 and even then, I just managed to get above 50% in order to be accepted into my degree programme. I felt so out of my league and was close to dropping out, but I was desperate to study my subject (Ancient and Medieval History) so I hung in there.

I'm now going into my fourth year and I've achieved an A for the majority of my assessments and nothing lower than a B. The fact you're already achieving Distinctions on your Access Course sets a very strong precedent! I actually think doing an access into university programme gives you a great advantage. You'll have an awareness of how university assessments and marking works which students entering straight from high school don't have - there's no way I'd be getting the marks I'm getting if I'd gone straight into HE. If you've got the right attitude (which it certainly sounds like you have), you absolutely can achieve great results and your experiences leading to your degree will help that.

I went to one of the lowest ranking high school's in the country in terms of progression to higher education and feel like my working-class, state-educated background would hinder me at a university with a reputation for elitism, but I've had a lot of opportunities come my way because of that. Going to university is the best thing I've ever done - it's completely changed my life for the better - so don't let doubts get the better of you. You're absolutely deserving of your place
michaelhw
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Back2Uni2021)
Hey all,

This is a bit of a weird post.

I'm near to completing an access to nursing course in my thirties. When I was younger, I used to be average, getting B's and C's, sometimes lower, in my GCSE and Alevels. I've managed to get enough distinctions in my access course, and have offers from KCL, UoM and UoL. I need to firm one...I would love to study at KCL or Manchester, but academically I don't feel good enough to go there (lol). I'm just scared that I'll struggle with the academic work (I've worked blooming hard to get my distinctions), given that you are expected to already be 'at that level'. So, is this imposter syndrome or has anyone gone to these top universities (coming from an average background) and found it not as bad as you thought? Yes, I do have confidence issues

Thanks
I have always had the impression that there were two kinds of people at ivy league universities and oxbridge: professors who who want to maximize their salaries, and the sons and daughters of various dictators from around the world.

Anyway, you do have a point because sometimes at uni you are so worried about "appearing smart" that you find no joy in the actual subject. It can be as exciting as hell, but you always think about appearances in stead of substance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads