Dropping out 1st year to join new course

Watch this thread
waffle9090
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there’s anyone on tsr that’s done this before. Basically starting a course 1st year but also applying to other courses via ucas during 1st year and then dropping out of their current course to start a new course (if they got the offer). Basically reapplying to the course you wanted to get on while currently undertaking a course in the meantime as a backup and not wasting a year. I really want to do dentistry and I haven’t got in this year so I’m thinking of taking chem eng year 1 and I’ll continue to apply to dentistry this year for 2023 entry. Would love to hear anyones ideas on this/ similar experiences
Last edited by waffle9090; 4 weeks ago
tecna
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by waffle9090)
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there’s anyone on tsr that’s done this before. Basically starting a course 1st year but also applying to other courses via ucas during 1st year and then dropping out of their current course to start a new course (if they got the offer). Basically reapplying to the course you wanted to get on while currently undertaking a course in the meantime as a backup and not wasting a year. I really want to do dentistry and I haven’t got in this year so I’m thinking of taking chem eng year 1 and I’ll continue to apply to dentistry this year for 2023 entry. Would love to hear anyones ideas on this/ similar experiences
Pls dont do this
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Don’t start a course that you don’t plan on finishing. That’s the opposite of “not wasting a year”.

Get a health or care related job instead and build up some savings and experience.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by waffle9090)
I really want to do dentistry
Then stop messing about and do that.

Get a relevant gap year job and apply in the autumn for Dentistry.

Just be aware that there may be SF implications - you have already used up a year's funding and Dentistry is another 5 years.
waffle9090
Rep:
(Original post by tecna)
Pls dont do this
(Original post by PQ)
Don’t start a course that you don’t plan on finishing. That’s the opposite of “not wasting a year”.

Get a health or care related job instead and build up some savings and experience.
Thanks for the reply guys. Let me just explain a little more. I’ve already taken a gap year before and unfortunately I still didn’t get the offer. And yes I understand in the long run it doesn’t matter much but even though I got more work exp, got a health care related job I still feel I haven’t used up my time as wisely as I could’ve. I understand your point about starting a course I don’t plan on finishing but that would only be the case if I get the dentistry offer. If it was to not work out then I would continue to finish my chem eng degree (which I also find interesting btw). I just fed it would be a secure way of reapplying - having a back up option without having wasted a year.
waffle9090
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Then stop messing about and do that.

Get a relevant gap year job and apply in the autumn for Dentistry.

Just be aware that there may be SF implications - you have already used up a year's funding and Dentistry is another 5 years.
Yes I have done this already and unfortunately it still did not work out and I’m afraid of history repeating itself hence I’m considering a plan B option. I don’t think taking another gap year will do me any more good in all honesty, there’s only so much more job/work experience I can get until it all seems the same. Yes I understand about SF finding as well but fortunately I don’t think it will be a issue for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads