topic is cleaners

Watch this thread
Irresponsible
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
i need to be educated, because i dont quite understand why we make the cleaners in schools jobs "easier". like its their designated job so idk shouldnt they do it. im asking this becuz i came across a situation in school today. someone had left their pudding plate from the dining hall in the common room sink(sixth form) and the teacher taking care of study said an offhanded comment like "who keeps leaving their plates in here, and the cleaners dont even wash it" and a friend of mine challenged her and said "why should they" and i thought in my head like "cuz thats their job" but this is really taboo to say. of course cleaning is a hard job and i respect it as a profession they also make a decent amount of money and have pretty good hours is what i've been told. so why do we stop cleaners from doing what they are paid to do?
KA_P
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Irresponsible)
i need to be educated, because i dont quite understand why we make the cleaners in schools jobs "easier". like its their designated job so idk shouldnt they do it. im asking this becuz i came across a situation in school today. someone had left their pudding plate from the dining hall in the common room sink(sixth form) and the teacher taking care of study said an offhanded comment like "who keeps leaving their plates in here, and the cleaners dont even wash it" and a friend of mine challenged her and said "why should they" and i thought in my head like "cuz thats their job" but this is really taboo to say. of course cleaning is a hard job and i respect it as a profession they also make a decent amount of money and have pretty good hours is what i've been told. so why do we stop cleaners from doing what they are paid to do?
I would've assumed the sixth former who left the plate would have had to return the plate to the dining room themselves. I don't think everything can be put up to the cleaners, some things may not be in their jurisdiction. It's usually the student's responsibility to bring the plate back to the dining room surely?
Last edited by KA_P; 4 weeks ago
ROTL94 2
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I've been both a cleaner and a guy who worked on service in a staff restaurant. If a place like a tray rack, is provided then customers of said restaurant should return the plates there themselves, but if they don't the cleaner/ front of house guy has to do it because if they don't it will just stay there.
Irresponsible
Rep:
(Original post by KA_P)
I would've assumed the sixth former who left the would have had to return the plate to the dining room themselves. I don't think everything can be put up to the cleaners, some things may not be in their jurisdiction. It's usually the student's responsibility to bring the plate back to the dining room surely?
it is the sixth former in questions job but he never got caught so the teacher just washed it insead, i never really thought about what would be in their like job description
Irresponsible
Rep:
(Original post by ROTL94 2)
I've been both a cleaner and a guy who worked on service in a staff restaurant. If a place like a tray rack, is provided then customers of said restaurant should return the plates there themselves, but if they don't the cleaner/ front of house guy has to do it because if they don't it will just stay there.
i think the responsibility of cleaners are different in like different settings a school and a restaurant would be different i guess
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I mean, basic common human decency?

It's the same principle as the shopping trolley moral problem. It costs you nothing to put your shopping trolley back where it belongs when you're done. If you leave it randomly in the middle of the parking lot, "because it's someone elses' job to move it", then even if that is true, you're creating a great deal of inconvenience for those people who have to go round the parking lot rounding up your trolley (who not doubt have many other tasks to do in addition to that) and also for anyone else trying to use that area subsequently (e.g. trying to park their car).

You wouldn't want to find a bunch of dirty dishes, or litter or other garbage left on/around somewhere you would want to sit, and you wouldn't want to find a shopping trolley left strewn across the parking lot meaning you have to do multiple vehicle maneuvers to park and/or get around it, or actually stop and get out of your car to move it. So by the golden rule of human civilisation, "treat other people how you want to be treated", you should not do that, even if technically it's "someone's job" to do that for you.

In any case to more directly answer your question, cleaners in a 6th form are not wait staff and so it is not, in fact, their job to go around collecting your dirty dishes. Their job is janitorial, to clean surfaces and floors etc, which leaving your crap all over the place actually makes harder.
Irresponsible
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I mean, basic common human decency?

It's the same principle as the shopping trolley moral problem. It costs you nothing to put your shopping trolley back where it belongs when you're done. If you leave it randomly in the middle of the parking lot, "because it's someone elses' job to move it", then even if that is true, you're creating a great deal of inconvenience for those people who have to go round the parking lot rounding up your trolley (who not doubt have many other tasks to do in addition to that) and also for anyone else trying to use that area subsequently (e.g. trying to park their car).

You wouldn't want to find a bunch of dirty dishes, or litter or other garbage left on/around somewhere you would want to sit, and you wouldn't want to find a shopping trolley left strewn across the parking lot meaning you have to do multiple vehicle maneuvers to park and/or get around it, or actually stop and get out of your car to move it. So by the golden rule of human civilisation, "treat other people how you want to be treated", you should not do that, even if technically it's "someone's job" to do that for you.

In any case to more directly answer your question, cleaners in a 6th form are not wait staff and so it is not, in fact, their job to go around collecting your dirty dishes. Their job is janitorial, to clean surfaces and floors etc, which leaving your crap all over the place actually makes harder.
thank you i think i get it now i assumed that was part of a cleaners job
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.27%
As I expected (23)
29.87%
Harder (29)
37.66%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.19%

Watched Threads