The Student Room Group

Finished university and struggling to find a job

I have my final university exam on Monday, so I'm essentially done with my degree. I have no plans for what I'm going to do after university so right now I'm in a bit of a last minute search for a job to keep myself busy until next years postgrad applications open. Ideally I'd like to work in a sector related to my degree but since a lot of jobs are far from where I live and because all my experience comes from volunteering, they reject me. Any advice on how to make my applications more successful?
Widen the scope of jobs that you apply for.
In terms of the locations, job roles, industry and general pay ranges that you are willing to consider.
Be open to zero hours contracts and working in the gig economy too.

Have different CVs so that you don't appear over qualified.
If you are eligible for welfare support and need it during the pandemic, don't be afraid to claim.
There are many helpful DWP staff members who are willing to assist job seekers obtain access to some free courses, training opportunities and interviews.
Good luck!
Original post by idk1186710
I have my final university exam on Monday, so I'm essentially done with my degree. I have no plans for what I'm going to do after university so right now I'm in a bit of a last minute search for a job to keep myself busy until next years postgrad applications open. Ideally I'd like to work in a sector related to my degree but since a lot of jobs are far from where I live and because all my experience comes from volunteering, they reject me. Any advice on how to make my applications more successful?

You may get more responses if you tell us what the sector is.

I don't think you are getting rejected because your experience is from volunteering (unless the feedback from them explicitly says this...?) - you are probably not framing your experiences very well to the job spec.

As for where you live, you have 2 options. Find a job that is fully remote (again, depends on your sector) or bite the bullet and move to where the work is.
University is a waste of time if you want to gain a job when you graduate. There are more graduates in this country than graduate jobs, therefore it is a waste of time.
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
You may get more responses if you tell us what the sector is.

I don't think you are getting rejected because your experience is from volunteering (unless the feedback from them explicitly says this...?) - you are probably not framing your experiences very well to the job spec.

As for where you live, you have 2 options. Find a job that is fully remote (again, depends on your sector) or bite the bullet and move to where the work is.

Hi, sorry I didn't mention the sector. I'm graduating with a BSc in biomedical science but I am not particularly interested in the lab aspect of my degree.
I'll book an appointment with careers to figure out how to write about my experience. I'm also willing to move for the job so that won't be an issue
Reply 5
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
University is a waste of time if you want to gain a job when you graduate. There are more graduates in this country than graduate jobs, therefore it is a waste of time.

You wouldn't be the first to tell me this...

Hi there!

My name is El and I just finished University and looking for a job as a creative.

What has helped me so far is a website called Totaljobs, I've gotten most of my job interviews from here, along with just seeing whats out there for someone like me!

Making your CV professional but also colourful and interesting to the eye is vital too! CVs are boring, so make them not boring by bringing a bit of character to yours. This has really helped me get attention from companies and people searching for the right person.

I would also say, maybe look at some companies websites and email them to see if they have any voluntary work experience or any paid work for a recent graduate. I did this and a lot of companies have kept my details for upcoming projects and also allowed a lot of people to see my portfolio and give me tips and advice.

If you aren't prepared for this, I would suggest taking the time to relax a little and focus on perfecting your CV and cover letter- it's always good to make a basic cover letter that you can edit and change depending on the jobs requirements.

I would also suggest looking at traineeships, junior jobs and apprenticeships as these are all jobs that you can learn on the job. There's also the possibility of finding paid courses that go towards your job interests and masters at Uni for more knowledge.

I hope this helps!

Good luck, El
You wouldn't be the first to tell me this...

Why didn’t you take their advice and do an apprenticeship or vocational course rather than attend university?
Reply 8
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Why didn’t you take their advice and do an apprenticeship or vocational course rather than attend university?

Biomed/biology based apprenticeships were mainly lab based, which I never really felt 100% happy doing. I went into uni with broad interests and slowly realised over the years that I enjoy science comms/journalism. I don't regret going to university, instead, I don't know what to do now I've finished.
100percent, uni is a lot of shite these days , wish I had left school and became a plasterer, painter decorator and tile fitter .Instead I went the uni route done a worthless course have a useless bit of paper on my wall and now find myself bk at uni doing nursing, trying to sort myself out .

Hi @idk1186710!

I was in the same situation when I graduated last year. I had ideas on what I wanted to do but nothing concrete, so I was open to just seeing what was out there and working my way through it.

I'm not sure which field your degree relates to, but I would also recommend keeping an open mind on what to apply for. Of course you want to go for things relating to your degree, but some weeks there may not be too many jobs that you find. So it's good to keep a wide field that your searching for jobs in, don't limit yourself!

As for making your cv/applications more successful, I'd recommend making an appointment with the careers team at your University. They'll be a good point to go to for advice on this. From my own experience though, it's good to keep answers on your application form quite concise - you don't want to be listing things endlessly, be analytical in explaining skills you've gained from your experiences.

You could also try asking your lecturers for some advice too, they may know some links or contacts to gain a bit more experience, or at least on where to look for opportunities.

I hope this is helpful! Please feel to ask any other questions you might have or if you'd like some more advice, I'll be happy to help :smile:

Tom,
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni.
For some actual advice on getting work. Firstly get in contact with your uni's careers service. Usually they provide support to graduates for up to a year after graduation. Secondly, do research into what you want to do. The more you know is the more you can demonstrate to employers (personal pojects are good to do if you can think of applicable ones.) Finally, it's a numbers game. The more applications you do the more chance you have.

I just sat my finals, i have been posting my CV for months, i have only had one real responce, from the Canadian torist board, there free so well worth the time.

Lots of luck leona
-Tailor your CV. Any relevant modules you've done can show employers you have the skills to do well. If it was a high grade, write that down.

-Call someone. Try to speak to someone in recruitment or management. Word will get around which will make you stand out.

- Don't worry about the 'big' corporations. Just because they have high entry standards or big names does not make them the best for your career. Look for a company that will push its graduates/interns and provide the best learning experience for you.
Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)
What work experience do you have
Hi, sorry I didn't mention the sector. I'm graduating with a BSc in biomedical science but I am not particularly interested in the lab aspect of my degree.
I'll book an appointment with careers to figure out how to write about my experience. I'm also willing to move for the job so that won't be an issue

Not interested in lab-based work but applied for biomed? what was the plan?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending