What do I need to know about voluntary suspension (taking a year off university)?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
For a few years I have been struggling with anxiety, since I started going to university its only gotten worse, I know I'm overly concerned with my grades but I'm want to do well. In my first year, I was getting over 70 marks on the majority of my assignments but its gone downhill now, I deferred some assignments and I am really struggling to complete them. Its gotten so bad that I am considering taking a year off so I can receive counselling and be more comfortable with where I am.
Anyway before I go through with it I wanted to know:
1. Will this affect my degree classification?
2. Will there be an additional costs for a voluntary suspension?
3. Will I be able to work on the modules I am currently working on during the voluntary suspension?
Desideri
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
I took a year off for health reasons.

1) no, it won't affect your degree classification

2) there's no additional costs, but you won't be eligible for a maintenance loan while you're off

3) you can do what you want with your time, including revising. You won't be able to submit work or anything though.

Some regulations will vary by university, so it would be a good idea to have a meeting with your personal tutor or student advice team before you make your decision.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Desideri)
2) there's no additional costs, but you won't be eligible for a maintenance loan while you're off
Just a follow-up question. After I come back, would I be able to receive maintence loan?

Also, is there anything else I should know about voluntary suspension?

Thank you for your response.
Desideri
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just a follow-up question. After I come back, would I be able to receive maintence loan?

Also, is there anything else I should know about voluntary suspension?

Thank you for your response.
Yes, once you come back you'll be back to being a full-time student and can receive maintenance loan like normal.

I can't think of anything else 'official' you need to know. Only advice I'd give is a) prioritise your health so you're as healthy as possible when you go back but also b) find something to fill your time, whether that's a job, volunteering, a hobby, etc. At first my year off felt relaxing like the summer holidays or something... by the end I was extremely bored and longing for some structure again.
Anonymous #1
Thank you for your replies.

I have a another question.
When you take a voluntary suspension, does it have to be a year long or can it a few months instead?
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you for your replies.

I have a another question.
When you take a voluntary suspension, does it have to be a year long or can it a few months instead?
Most unis will only permit you to temporarily suspend for a full academic year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
29.58%
As I expected (22)
30.99%
Harder (25)
35.21%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed