Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does it matter what time in the day one goes to the gym? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What we have here is a case of PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS. Really, the differences are pretty slight, there is little point dedicating hours of discussion to it when you could be exercising, for example. The fact that you're getting your workouts than not is far more important than the time of day.

(Original post by Inter-Company)
    apparently morning time is better as a side note - but generally speaking the time wouldn't matter (only thing being, busier times at the gym means a longer wait if that is a problem)
    No actually. Your core body temperature warms up gradually throughout the day, causing you to become more flexible, etc. So it is actually better for injury prevention and to get the most out of your workouts to exercise later on in the day/early evening.

(Original post by nush86)
    yer i was also gonna say... iv heard morning is better as ur meant to burn more stubborn stored fat as opposed to food uv eat that day!
    MYTH.

When your body is in a fasted state (ie; after a night's sleep before breakfast) yes, it will be using mainly fat for energy, awesome. Where do you get energy from when you work out later on in the day in a non fasted state? Glycogen, ok, then fat depending on how long you exercise for, but, big but, how is glycogen replenished? From FAT STORES via GLUCONEOGENESIS.

Providing you eat properly you can lose just as much if not more fat in a non fasted state, partly because you will be more energetic, because you will be more awake/alert and be more able to put more effort and intensity into your workout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fandellos)
    Thankfully i go to the gym at 6pm so i will be able to hit you back harder!
    haha nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)

Providing you eat properly you can lose just as much if not more fat in a non fasted state, partly because you will be more energetic, because you will be more awake/alert and be more able to put more effort and intensity into your workout.
    point taken into count but dont you think it relies on the indiviual aswell at the end of the day

i HATE exercizing full stop lol but feel GREAT afterwards... all the happy hormones and what not
    but in all fairness i have to say working out in the mornings for ME is much easier than apposed to when im back from a full day of school when i've got the stress of all my work to do and am feeling complelty ambushed...
    like i said down to the individual

ReputationRep:
    I thought later on would have been better since when you sleep you release HGH and muscles aren't being stressed.

ReputationRep:
    I work harder when I go in the evening. If I go in the morning my muscles just feel stiff and tired, it's awful.

ReputationRep:
    Here off another forum

'I find your ability is higher later in the day - in the morning you are week due to no food for 10 hours or so - anything you eat for Breakfast does not have time to get to work'

Theres your answer

ReputationRep:
    HARD exercise (like interval on the threadmill that speeds up your pulse and makes you sweat real much, and also muscletraining with heavy weights) highers your metabolism for a time afterwards the actual workout, and thus one could benefit more from working out early in the day.

LOW-INTENSIVE work out, i.e powerwalking our jogging (if you're trained and jogging isnt too straining for you), burns, when done before breakfast, directly calories from fat and not carbonates in the body. there was a study done that showed this, HOWEVER; there was a very small difference and the results on the body probably won't depend on whether you jog 8AM or 6PM...

sorry if there's some funny language here, im not english.

ReputationRep:
    how about during night time. Is it ok? Some of my friends said is not good since temperature is low at that time..

ReputationRep:
    Well I read a T-Nation article (no retard) in which Stuart McGill said you're more susceptible to damaging intervertebral disks in the morning.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.