Help with payslip!!! :(

Watch this thread
Ionlikeu
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I work around 7 hours a day and i work once a week for £9.96. My payslip this month was £185. I don’t normally pay any tax and I’m under 21 so I don’t do pension. I’ve added a picture of what the pay slip says as there is something called “back pay, pensionable” and £157 is deducted from £337. What’s this? I don’t want to contribute to pension, what do i do? I cant survive on basically £100 this month.
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I see no attachment; I don't know why.

The £337 figure looks about right (it's impacted by how the company handles the fact that you work once a week but are paid monthly, so the number of days you work per month can vary). Also, you say you work "around 7 hours a day", so your income will likely move around a bit depending upon exactly how many hours you worked.

"Back pay" would mean pay which you were owed from a previous month but wasn't paid to you then for some reason. There could be lots of reasons for this, so I won't speculate.

The contribution that employers and employees make to a workplace pension scheme (if applicable) is a percentage of their "pensionable" earnings. The term "pensionable" alongside "back pay" simply means that the back-pay would count in this calculation. Your monthly earnings fall below the level at which the company must enroll you in a workplace pension scheme, so this is unlikely to apply to you (as you've said "I don’t want to contribute to pension", so you won't have opted-in).

Without being able to see your payslip is difficult to establish what the £157 deduction is for. Is there any text along side it? (You've said "there is something called “back pay, pensionable” and £157 is deducted", but it really doesn't make sense that £157 back pay would be deducted, so I assume these are two separate things. Unless perhaps you received an advance last month and it's negative back-pay?)

Is this your first payslip from this company? If not, how does it compare with previous payslips? Can you not just ask the payroll team there to explain the various numbers on the payslip to you? They'll understand it better than anyone on TSR.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (66)
28.09%
As I expected (73)
31.06%
Harder (88)
37.45%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.4%

Watched Threads