Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I tried searching, but couldn't find a concise answer to my question. The UCL open day/interview day letter states that applicants usually wear smart/casual clothing? If you have attended, or are attending an interview day, and are a male lol, what did you wear, or what are you going to wear?

ReputationRep:
    i've got one at UCL and i think im going to wear shirt and trousers

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing except a tie and socks.

ReputationRep:
    I intend to wear casual trousers, a shirt, tie and a sweater...

ReputationRep:
    If you dress bad you won't get your offer, I know a few people never got their "open day offers" filled- they came up and were dressed a bit... badly. So dress with SOME respect.

ReputationRep:
    jacket and tie never hurt...

ReputationRep:
    I just did collared long-sleeve shirt, (no tie or jacket), cords, and a non 'garish' pair of socks to match with black shoes.

Simple, comfortable and nice.

Wahey.

ReputationRep:
    I wore jeans, trainers and a t shirt and got an offer. I don't think it matters (though I had the exact same thoughts as you, at the time!).

ReputationRep:
    Any girls want to chime in on this? I'm fairly stuck...

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go for the smart casual look

ReputationRep:
    **** that ****, turn up in a suit. It'll show them just how seriously you're taking it...

Besides, in my experience, when they say smart/casual, they actually just mean smart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyJaneGrey)
    Any girls want to chime in on this? I'm fairly stuck...
    I wore a plain grey mid thigh jumper, black jeans and ballet pumps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lily_blue3)
    I wore a plain grey mid thigh jumper, black jeans and ballet pumps
    Wow...you remember what you wore to an open day you attended a year ago?

Plus...if anyone who is going on a future open day is reading this...jeans are fine, just wear them with a shirt (or the equivalent for girls...I wore cords and a cardigan but could've worn jeans and a cardigan).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyJaneGrey)
    Wow...you remember what you wore to an open day you attended a year ago?

Plus...if anyone who is going on a future open day is reading this...jeans are fine, just wear them with a shirt (or the equivalent for girls...I wore cords and a cardigan but could've worn jeans and a cardigan).
    It was the only one I went to so yeah

ReputationRep:
    I really doesn't matter what you wear, as long as you wear something. Your interviewers are potentially your lecturers/ class tutors for the next few years, and they aren't going to make any serious judgments on your fashion sense; they want see how you respond to their qs's/ if your vaguely interested in your subject. Just go in something your most comfortable in (as long as your not a neo-nazi/ into bondage/ have strange fetishes).
    Also, if you really want to show respect, go as Ali G. At least they'll remember you.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am heading down for my interview on Wednesday, and I plan to wear my jeans, that looks smart enough, a light shirt and dark Vans. Oh, and a black jacket...

Think this is smart enough? It's not like i am going for Medicine or anything, so I can't see it being that fussy. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scuffy3000)

Think this is smart enough? It's not like i am going for Medicine or anything, so I can't see it being that fussy. Any thoughts?
    Maybe not the Vans... What are you being interviewed for?

ReputationRep:
    German and History...
    http://i24.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/13/11/0a10_1.JPG
    Maybe then instead?
    I am not particularly comfortable in smart black shoes, and I don't really know whats appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scuffy3000)
    German and History...
    http://i24.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/13/11/0a10_1.JPG
    Maybe then instead?
    I am not particularly comfortable in smart black shoes, and I don't really know whats appropriate.
    I have an interview for German then too... It's better to be comfortable, I suppose... Aslong as you don't look to scruffy...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.