Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I tried searching, but couldn't find a concise answer to my question. The UCL open day/interview day letter states that applicants usually wear smart/casual clothing? If you have attended, or are attending an interview day, and are a male lol, what did you wear, or what are you going to wear?

ReputationRep:
    i've got one at UCL and i think im going to wear shirt and trousers

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing except a tie and socks.

ReputationRep:
    I intend to wear casual trousers, a shirt, tie and a sweater...

ReputationRep:
    If you dress bad you won't get your offer, I know a few people never got their "open day offers" filled- they came up and were dressed a bit... badly. So dress with SOME respect.

ReputationRep:
    jacket and tie never hurt...

ReputationRep:
    I just did collared long-sleeve shirt, (no tie or jacket), cords, and a non 'garish' pair of socks to match with black shoes.

Simple, comfortable and nice.

Wahey.

ReputationRep:
    I wore jeans, trainers and a t shirt and got an offer. I don't think it matters (though I had the exact same thoughts as you, at the time!).

ReputationRep:
    Any girls want to chime in on this? I'm fairly stuck...

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go for the smart casual look

ReputationRep:
    **** that ****, turn up in a suit. It'll show them just how seriously you're taking it...

Besides, in my experience, when they say smart/casual, they actually just mean smart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyJaneGrey)
    Any girls want to chime in on this? I'm fairly stuck...
    I wore a plain grey mid thigh jumper, black jeans and ballet pumps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lily_blue3)
    I wore a plain grey mid thigh jumper, black jeans and ballet pumps
    Wow...you remember what you wore to an open day you attended a year ago?

Plus...if anyone who is going on a future open day is reading this...jeans are fine, just wear them with a shirt (or the equivalent for girls...I wore cords and a cardigan but could've worn jeans and a cardigan).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyJaneGrey)
    Wow...you remember what you wore to an open day you attended a year ago?

Plus...if anyone who is going on a future open day is reading this...jeans are fine, just wear them with a shirt (or the equivalent for girls...I wore cords and a cardigan but could've worn jeans and a cardigan).
    It was the only one I went to so yeah

ReputationRep:
    I really doesn't matter what you wear, as long as you wear something. Your interviewers are potentially your lecturers/ class tutors for the next few years, and they aren't going to make any serious judgments on your fashion sense; they want see how you respond to their qs's/ if your vaguely interested in your subject. Just go in something your most comfortable in (as long as your not a neo-nazi/ into bondage/ have strange fetishes).
    Also, if you really want to show respect, go as Ali G. At least they'll remember you.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am heading down for my interview on Wednesday, and I plan to wear my jeans, that looks smart enough, a light shirt and dark Vans. Oh, and a black jacket...

Think this is smart enough? It's not like i am going for Medicine or anything, so I can't see it being that fussy. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scuffy3000)

Think this is smart enough? It's not like i am going for Medicine or anything, so I can't see it being that fussy. Any thoughts?
    Maybe not the Vans... What are you being interviewed for?

ReputationRep:
    German and History...
    http://i24.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/13/11/0a10_1.JPG
    Maybe then instead?
    I am not particularly comfortable in smart black shoes, and I don't really know whats appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scuffy3000)
    German and History...
    http://i24.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/13/11/0a10_1.JPG
    Maybe then instead?
    I am not particularly comfortable in smart black shoes, and I don't really know whats appropriate.
    I have an interview for German then too... It's better to be comfortable, I suppose... Aslong as you don't look to scruffy...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.