Decision Maths - Bin Packing

Watch this thread
Cupcakes12
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've done this question
Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-27 081407.png
Views: 12
Size:  103.2 KB

And I am a bit confused about the answer for part b.

The worked solutions say:
Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-27 081450.png
Views: 8
Size:  51.0 KB

but I put the 36 in the same bin as 42, and I don't know why they did not.

This made my final answer:
bin 1 = 47, 33
bin 2 = 42, 36
bin 3 = 41, 31
bin 4 = 27, 24, 18
bin 5 = 16, 12

Is my answer just an alternative correct version or have I done it wrong?
Fibonacci28
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
I've also got what you have so I'd say you're correct. I can't understand how the mark scheme has got the answer it has, maybe talk to your teacher about it? Is this a textbook question because it's not unknown for the answers in them to be wrong
PerpetualAgony
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I agree with Fibonnaci, what you've done is absolutely correct. Mark schemes definitely have the tendency to have mistakes, I know my textbooks had mistakes on almost every exercise and even some of the content explanations (wonderful way to screw home learners over!) There's no 'alternative' solution to this question, they've just gotten it wrong (even if the answer is the same they clearly didn't do the method correctly).
PerpetualAgony
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PerpetualAgony)
I agree with Fibonnaci, what you've done is absolutely correct. Mark schemes definitely have the tendency to have mistakes, I know my textbooks had mistakes on almost every exercise and even some of the content explanations (wonderful way to screw home learners over!) There's no 'alternative' solution to this question, they've just gotten it wrong (even if the answer is the same they clearly didn't do the method correctly).
They probably skimmed over too quickly and therefore incorrectly dismissed the fact that 42 and 36 don't superpass the maximum amount the bin can hold. I've done that mistake before too.
Cupcakes12
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fibonacci28)
I've also got what you have so I'd say you're correct. I can't understand how the mark scheme has got the answer it has, maybe talk to your teacher about it? Is this a textbook question because it's not unknown for the answers in them to be wrong
(Original post by PerpetualAgony)
Thank you!!! It is from the Pearson textbook.
Fibonacci28
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cupcakes12)
Thank you!!! It is from the Pearson textbook.
Quite possible for it to be an error then
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads