Theatre placement !! Will I fail ?

Watch this thread
sn_00l
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I’m end of 2nd year adult nursing and 2 weeks into a 6 week theatre placement at the moment and I am absolutely hating it. No ones fault, it just really really really isn’t for me, but I’m trying really hard and don’t want them to know how much I hate it.

But I just don’t understand what’s expected of me, and no one seems to be able to give me a clear answer. If I do anything other than stand in the corner and watch, then take the bins out and wipe the trolleys I do it wrong. And I’ve even done the bins wrong before too. Whenever I try to take initiative I make a mistake, I’ve broke the sterile field, I’ve crossed the wrong numbers off the board, I’ve turned the suction on wrong- literally everything. So I just want to stand and observe but I feel like I will fail if I do this?

No one is giving me an answer on what is expected of a student in theatre, or how I am doing and I’m really stressed they’ll turn round at the end and fail me.

I was meant to have an initial meeting in the first week with my mentor for my pad but they never got round to it, so I asked all this week too but still nothing. That’s where expectations are supposed to be set out.

1 day I got to go to the recovery room, and that was so much better because it was more like an environment I’m used to, and by the end of the day I was recovering patients myself (obviously CLOSELY observed lol)

I’m also worried I look disinterested because on Tuesday at lunchtime on placement I got broken up with over text lol 💀 didn’t want to tell them obviously but I felt REALLY sad at placement on Tuesday before I picked myself back up but I think it might have looked like I just didn’t care and I definitely could have helped with more but chose to not on that particular which isn’t good I know but it’s not that I’m not interested

People who have had theatre placements , what was actually expected of you , has anyone failed one before ?
Last edited by sn_00l; 4 weeks ago
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sn_00l)
So I’m end of 2nd year adult nursing and 2 weeks into a 6 week theatre placement at the moment and I am absolutely hating it. No ones fault, it just really really really isn’t for me, but I’m trying really hard and don’t want them to know how much I hate it.

But I just don’t understand what’s expected of me, and no one seems to be able to give me a clear answer. If I do anything other than stand in the corner and watch, then take the bins out and wipe the trolleys I do it wrong. And I’ve even done the bins wrong before too. Whenever I try to take initiative I make a mistake, I’ve broke the sterile field, I’ve crossed the wrong numbers off the board, I’ve turned the suction on wrong- literally everything. So I just want to stand and observe but I feel like I will fail if I do this?

No one is giving me an answer on what is expected of a student in theatre, or how I am doing and I’m really stressed they’ll turn round at the end and fail me.

I was meant to have an initial meeting in the first week with my mentor for my pad but they never got round to it, so I asked all this week too but still nothing. That’s where expectations are supposed to be set out.

1 day I got to go to the recovery room, and that was so much better because it was more like an environment I’m used to, and by the end of the day I was recovering patients myself (obviously CLOSELY observed lol)

I’m also worried I look disinterested because on Tuesday at lunchtime on placement I got broken up with over text lol 💀 didn’t want to tell them obviously but I felt REALLY sad at placement on Tuesday before I picked myself back up but I think it might have looked like I just didn’t care and I definitely could have helped with more but chose to not on that particular which isn’t good I know but it’s not that I’m not interested

People who have had theatre placements , what was actually expected of you , has anyone failed one before ?
I was a theatre band 2 before I did my nursing degree. That first 6 months? I absolutely hated it. Ended up there 2.5 years. You're not the first, and won't be the last, to completely not get/absolutely hate the theatre environment.

You need to get hold of the hospital PEFs (Practice Education Facilitators) - they may go by a slightly different name but exist for every single placement area, hospital, community, private sector. It's their job to make sure that the placement supports the student properly.

It's great that you felt more comfortable in recovery. This may be the place where you need to spend more time, and be assessed there.
As for theatre itself, you need to be able to be OK with all the circulating stuff - opening sterile stuff, disposing of things, getting the correct stuff crossed off the board (but someone needs to actually show your this!!) & do some scrubbing in.
Standing in a corner doing nothing and looking scared for the next 4 weeks will be just as detrimental to you as making mistakes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (63)
27.51%
As I expected (71)
31%
Harder (87)
37.99%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.49%

Watched Threads