The Student Room Group

Chemistry enthalpy change of neutralisation

When doing calculations at A level to determine enthalpy change of neutralisation between an acid and an alkali you are given data of the volumes and concentrations of each reactant and the change in temperature during the reaction. I can work out the energy change (Q=mcT) however where I become stuck is working out the enthalpy change (Q/n). My problem is when the moles of the two reactants are different from each other, do you plug the smaller number of moles into the Q/n equation or do you plug the number of moles of water produced into the equation? Any help would be great and I hope that this made sense :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Kwj2021
When doing calculations at A level to determine enthalpy change of neutralisation between an acid and an alkali you are given data of the volumes and concentrations of each reactant and the change in temperature during the reaction. I can work out the energy change (Q=mcT) however where I become stuck is working out the enthalpy change (Q/n). My problem is when the moles of the two reactants are different from each other, do you plug the smaller number of moles into the Q/n equation or do you plug the number of moles of water produced into the equation? Any help would be great and I hope that this made sense :smile:

Do you have access to the answer? I would assume that the smallest number of moles and the moles of water produced would be the same if its a 1:1 neutralisation for example. Are you able to find a correlation between the smallest number of moles of reactant and the number of moles of water produced? I’m sorry im not too sure either now, I would assume use the mol of water
Original post by Kwj2021
do you plug the number of moles of water produced into the equation?

That.

If you have different mol of acid and base, see if one is in excess and use the limiting reagent to work out n(H2O) and plug that one in.
Reply 3
Original post by JARHY
Do you have access to the answer? I would assume that the smallest number of moles and the moles of water produced would be the same if its a 1:1 neutralisation for example. Are you able to find a correlation between the smallest number of moles of reactant and the number of moles of water produced? I’m sorry im not too sure either now, I would assume use the mol of water

Thanks for the reply. In this case the equation is H2SO4 + 2NaOH--> 2H2O +Na2SO4
The moles of NaOH= 0.075
moles of H2SO4= 0.0375
So I assumed you put the 0.0375 moles on the bottom, but in reality you had to put the 0.075 moles at the bottom

Original post by Pigster
That.

If you have different mol of acid and base, see if one is in excess and use the limiting reagent to work out n(H2O) and plug that one in.

So is this just a weird case when the limiting reactant isn't the same number of moles as water?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest