Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

'cob' (sandwich) shops! watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you have these where you live?

Where i'm from (chesterfield) there are loads of them, and all the surrounding towns and villages seem to have them, however when i've been to other places round the country they seem to not have them

So, where do you live & do you have cob shops? (if you dont know what a cob is, its a midland word for roll/bun/bap/whatever you call them where you are from. Basically a sandwich, but not on sliced bread!

ReputationRep:
    where i live you can either get ur sandwiches on sliced bread or on t-cakes
    Huddersfield

ReputationRep:
    Subway?

I couldn't resist. Sorry not in South Wales have I seen one!

ReputationRep:
    noooo not subway. so much better than subway!!!
    As in, real cheese, fresh bread, fresh veg, not a 'conveyor belt' way of making them. oh and a cheese & ham cob is about 1.70 for a large instead of 4.00 or whatever expensive stupid amount it is in subway!!

ReputationRep:
    ...Erm, there's a place called "Amy's Sandwiches" in Slough. Something like that?

ReputationRep:
    None in London

ReputationRep:
    A butty shop :]
    We kind of have some near where I live but they're more bakery-ish tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccharlyy)
    noooo not subway. so much better than subway!!!
    As in, real cheese, fresh bread, fresh veg, not a 'conveyor belt' way of making them. oh and a cheese & ham cob is about 1.70 for a large instead of 4.00 or whatever expensive stupid amount it is in subway!!
    Ok I was joking if you couldn't tell and why there is one very near by! However it is free and goes by the name of "the kitchen".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    None in London
    Yes there are...
    There's certainly a few in Enfield (North London) where I live
    but they tend to make normal sandwiches as well...
    Fianini's is great But I don't think there's more than one of them? and because of food prices going up it's waaay expensive now...like 3.20 for a chicken, bacon and avocado sandwich...yet soooo good! *mmmmm* want sandwich now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    Yes there are...
    There's certainly a few in Enfield (North London) where I live
    but they tend to make normal sandwiches as well...
    Fianini's is great But I don't think there's more than one of them? and because of food prices going up it's waaay expensive now...like 3.20 for a chicken, bacon and avocado sandwich...yet soooo good! *mmmmm* want sandwich now
    Ohh, none down south then!

Also, 'schwarz' in your signature really stood out to me - me and my bf call kisses 'schwars', because that's the sound we think they make!

Bit odd that it means 'black' in German though lol.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial College students know the joys of The Sandwich Shop on Gloucester Road. Small, cramped, but with infinite variations on the humble sandwich served in sliced bread, baguettes, rolls or any other kind of bread medium, and lots of other hot food like noodles, pizza, fresh chips. Massively cheap too.

Don't forget the free apple with every order.

ReputationRep:
    on the wirral and cheshire there are lots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan)
    Imperial College students know the joys of The Sandwich Shop on Gloucester Road. Small, cramped, but with infinite variations on the humble sandwich served in sliced bread, baguettes, rolls or any other kind of bread medium, and lots of other hot food like noodles, pizza, fresh chips. Massively cheap too.

Free apple?! I've never been offered a free apple there!

Their pasta is uber yummy though, and their chicken+sweetcorn bagettes are divine...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there's loads round where I live. They are SO good. I've introduced my friends from uni so now whenever they come over to mine we always have a wander over and get a sandwich yum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan)

:eek: !
    EVERYONE knows the joy of that shop! it's the place where you get reallllly cheap sandwiches after 4pm right?

ReputationRep:
    Another Derbyshire lass here so you know what my answer is going to be... yep! Although we have them in Edinburgh too but they're abit more posh than at home. But obviously they're not called cob shops as cob is a really local Derbys/Notts word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    Free apple?! I've never been offered a free apple there!

Their pasta is uber yummy though, and their chicken+sweetcorn bagettes are divine...
    Hmm... usually you get a free treat from the box by the till at the end, although it's not always an apple - it can be a banana or a bag of crisps. Sometimes they run out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    :eek: !
    EVERYONE knows the joy of that shop! it's the place where you get reallllly cheap sandwiches after 4pm right?
    Indeed :yep: isn't it brilliant?

ReputationRep:
    In my hometown in Wiltshire they have a lovely little sandwich shop I always get a cheese bap

ReputationRep:
    In York there are a couple of brilliant sandwich shops which a frequently visited!

One is 'Brown's' in Heslington Village, which open at 8.30am, and are sold out of of sandwiches by midday. They make all the bread from scratch - if you get there early enough it's warm still Their Cheese and Ham with Mayo is absolutely amazing,.

The other is 'Mr £andwich' which always have fresh from scratch sandwiches and are good value, hence '£' in 'Sandwich'!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.