Quick AS revision

Watch this thread
Eimsa
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Can anyone please give me a way to get a C to A for Biology As level.Shall I go through content or past papers?
Arkcano
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Eimsa)
Can anyone please give me a way to get a C to A for Biology As level.Shall I go through content or past papers?
What i did to score 298/300. First even if its one day before the exam. Understand the content. Trust me do not mug up. If you understand the concept you can apply it. After you are done then touch the most recent past paper try one or two. You can either try solving it yourself or open the marking scheme side by side. The thing is depends on how much time you have left before the exam. If its very less time then i suggest you open the marking scheme side by side so you understand how to answer questions. Trust me you will learn alot more from the past papers than from the tb. However it is important to know the tb as without it your concepts will be weak. But do keep the recent most past paper eg Jan 2022 aside to solve by yourself and see how much you score.
Eimsa
Rep:
Thank you this was very helpful definitely concentrating on the content first.and yeah i have exams after 1 month
Arkcano
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Eimsa)
Thank you this was very helpful definitely concentrating on the content first.and yeah i have exams after 1 month
My boards end on 16th June. After that im free if you want any help with bio or chem (if you take chem). Dont hesistate to send a private message. All the best.
Eimsa
Rep:
thank u so much i do take chem

can u tell me any key areas to look at for 2021 AS paper for edexcel chem and ocr A bio of u know any
Arkcano
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Thing with biology is that the papers usually differ in questions. Its very rare to get repetitive questions or similar questions framed different yet have the same answer. So for bio concepts are the most important as you could be taken by surprise when you receive the paper. Maybe this may be difficult to believe. So if you just finish studying and pick up a paper and solve it. You will notice that your answers that you created from the textbook knowledge is only bits and pieces which could maybe help you secure a few marks. The key for biology is understanding how to answer questions. Especially the jackpot questions (I refer to 6 mark questions as jackpot questions as most of them have graphs) Now when you are told to answer using graphs and write a 6 mark answer. Most people just state that okay graph 1 has value A more than B. Therefore plant A synthesizes more. To score marks you would need to write something like this : As shown in graph 1 plant A photosynthesizes more than plant B. Plant A has a 20% greater rate of photosynthesis.

Im not so sure about the OCR portion but the examiners love environment questions and mitochondria questions.

Chemistry has many repetitive questions. You will notice that many answers are almost similar in papers. Eg equilibrium questions

A question with a reaction in equilibrium is given. They usually as how a change in pressure/temp/concentration/catalyst will change the rate of reaction. These are the true scoring questions. Its very important you go through the recent marking schemes and understand what points will give you the marks. But please do not make the mistake of writing those same points in every similar question. This is because in chemistry and Bio as level they check how you logically present your answers.

Eg 2A + 2B = 3C the forward reaction is exothermic
this is an equilibrium reaction for eg

they tell you what will happen to the rate of reaction if temp is decreased>
Know the marking scheme may contain bullet points like
- temp dec
- favours exothermic side
- Equilibrium shifts to product C
- Rate of reaction increased

If you write it like this with barely any structure trust me they may give you 2 out of 4 marks.
Most people only structure their answers when they see * this star symbol next to a question. Trust me all answers should be structured properly.

The best answer would be

As the temperature increased the reactant molecules gain energy and collide more frequently and successfully. An decrease in temperature favours the exothermic side of the reaction. Therefore the equilibrium shifts towards the product. This increases the rate of reaction.

This is just an example. you will definitely produce a far better answer than i did.
Eimsa
Rep:
Thank you so much really appreciate your help I am definitely gonna go through stuff I can get easy marks in and structure the answers .I did some content revision for bio like through revision guide and went through all the topics.This was like 2 weeks ago .But last week monday I sat a pre mock 2020 exam to see where i am .I got like 37 marks out of 70 .But I didnt revise anything day or two day before the exam to see where I lack knowledge.Now I am confused do i have content problem or past paper problem.I will go through content anyway to keep it fresh in mind.
Arkcano
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Eimsa)
Thank you so much really appreciate your help I am definitely gonna go through stuff I can get easy marks in and structure the answers .I did some content revision for bio like through revision guide and went through all the topics.This was like 2 weeks ago .But last week monday I sat a pre mock 2020 exam to see where i am .I got like 37 marks out of 70 .But I didnt revise anything day or two day before the exam to see where I lack knowledge.Now I am confused do i have content problem or past paper problem.I will go through content anyway to keep it fresh in mind.
Awesome! All the best nail it.
Eimsa
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have one more question is it necessary to do 4 past papers for every subject or 2 for each are enough?
Arkcano
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Eimsa)
I have one more question is it necessary to do 4 past papers for every subject or 2 for each are enough?
That depends on you and how much time you have.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads