The Student Room Group

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Poll

Has advance information helped during your exams?

It's the middle of exam time!

If you're sitting yours, we really hope they're going well and you're looking after yourselves.

This year, you should have had access to Advance Information to help you prepare for your exams. Since exams started we've seen lots of people asking how accurate or helpful Advance Information turned out to be.

So tell us - did Advance Information help you so far in your exams?

Don't forget you can chat to others students sitting the same exams in our A-level and GCSE exam discussions.
its made them harder I have found. I prefer they never gave it because that gave them the excuse to give us harder exams. if the grade boundaries are low I will change my mind about it
Original post by Fail_yea
its made them harder I have found. I prefer they never gave it because that gave them the excuse to give us harder exams. if the grade boundaries are low I will change my mind about it

That's a really interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing it.

Out of interest, do you mean you feel the exams were harder than previous years who've sat them? Or do you think the exams have been unfairly hard given the disruption of the past couple years?

I hope you're managing to do a bit of resting between exams this week. :smile:
Reply 3
its easier in my opinion since you can focus more on the stuff that is coming up, but tbh they have made the exams a lot harder this year than the previous ones
Original post by Adi05
its easier in my opinion since you can focus more on the stuff that is coming up, but tbh they have made the exams a lot harder this year than the previous ones

Really? Which exams do you mean they're harder than?
a lot of my friends are saying that the advanced information hasnt really helped them and had them going over stuff that wasnt on the paper. i used the advanced information for chem p1 but tbh it was still quite hard
for subjects where everything is interelated it's been useless like sciences, otherwise topics like psychology, maths and english , they've helped alot
Reply 7
I would say it was quite helpful. For edexcel further maths, the advance information was 10 bullet points listing topics, in the exam there were 10 questions for each of those topics and I had only revised those topics. I think most people will agree that this was perhaps the easiest further maths paper there is compared to previous years, but we still have another one which I reckon is going to be hard. At least I won't have to revise the topics in the paper I already did.
Original post by psychstudent2625
for subjects where everything is interelated it's been useless like sciences, otherwise topics like psychology, maths and english , they've helped alot

agreed, psychology's was so helpful, econ was terrible they really ctrl c ctrl v'd the entire spec
Original post by BlinkyBill
That's a really interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing it.

Out of interest, do you mean you feel the exams were harder than previous years who've sat them? Or do you think the exams have been unfairly hard given the disruption of the past couple years?

I hope you're managing to do a bit of resting between exams this week. :smile:

I think both. considering massive covid disruption none of my exams have been considerate. I find that what they did was remove the easy topics done at the start of the year rather the harder ones done at the end of the year which most people wouldn't have completed. most people didn't notice this and thought of wow exam board is being really lenient when all they were doing was actually making the exams more hard for no reason. most of the papers I have done other than English have been like nothing of the previous years there are literally 6 markers about things that don't need to be 6 markers. it's crazy.
(edited 2 years ago)
also the advanced information was given a bit too late. without considering kids started their revision early. so I found obviously people started on the first topics taught at the beginning of their courses which ended up not being on the exam and this wasted time for them. so it made things a bit complicated
It depends on the subject. For some subjects where they specified areas that would be covered in higher tariff questions or cut out areas that definitely wouldn't appear, they were helpful. But other subjects had advanced information which technically wasn't wrong but still felt misleading. Overall a mixed bag but I've been glad to be able to cut down on revision for some subjects so it has been helpful in that way at least

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending