Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiii

This is extremely premature stressing out but I don't know what I want to do when I finish university!
    I'm currently repeating my second year (due to a change of course) at a not so good university (I know I could have been in better places but circumstances brought me here) and I just don't know what options are available to me.
    I am a terrible decision maker and have always had trouble knowing what to do, hence the change of course in the 2nd year.
    I was originally enrolled on a German, Italian and Portuguese degree but by the second year I wasn't enjoying this anymore due to the lack of cultural/literary studies involved so I changed course and university to a lesser institution studying English Literature (with Creative Writing dissertation option), which I have always been good at.
    I can't see myself going out and getting a job and doing nothing else just yet (I work a full-time job in catering as well as studying at the moment so the option is there). I do enjoy the catering side of my life but I don't know whether I want to be involved in it forever.
    There are so many options (apparently) but I just feel limited!

Help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Hey - I know it can feel like your sinking sometimes but its never as bad as it seems when you're dwelling on it for hours. I still am not entirely sure what I want to do after university either and I'm in my sixth year at university!

Why was it a terrible decision to change your course if you weren't enjoying it? Are you enjoying your new course more? If so then it wasn't really a 'terrible decision' Please don't get hung up on university reputation either...it's certainly not the be all and end all in the real world :p: Plenty of people form 'lesser institutions' do well in the job market if that's whats worrying you.

There's plenty of time to decide what you want to do long term, finding what you really want to do often starts when you graduate!
    Thanks for being so positive.
    I just think the original course was more useful but I'm not capable/prepared to spend a year in another country at the moment and am glad I didn't have to. I can't say I'm enjoying the new course, the attendance part of it gets me down but I love the work I have to do and am interested in the modules available next year.

I know applications for post graduate things need to be on their way by next September and I have to narrow down my options cause (I know this sounds nuts) but I hate having lots of choices, I prefer A or B to twenty different things cause I just don't know!

Thank you again

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.