Dundee vs Durham- importance of a ‘name’

Watch this thread
Georgiemars
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have offers from Dundee (MLitt Scottish History) and Durham (MA by research in early modern history with a focus on France.)

Dundee is my absolute dream course. Durham is still something I am excited about but it does not feel as 100% perfect as Dundee.

My goal is a PhD ideally at Oxford or a London university like Kings or LSE.

How much more gravitas will Durham have in this regard? Do you think it’s worth going to Durham over Dundee? Durham is such a prestigious university I feel a bit silly for turning it down... any thoughts?
VigoWilliam
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think it has anything to do with name.

You plan to do doctorate, so your masters should prepare for that. The most important thing for doctoral application is not name. It's your course and research capacity. If you do a research master, it would be very beneficial to improve your capacity and get recognised by your potential researcher. However, it's similarly important that you are in the relavant course.

I'm not sure if Dundee's MLitt is a research degree. If it is and you love the course, just go there. If it's not, plan the doctoral project you intend to do and balance between a research degree and a relavant course.

Note that name (both uni's name and department's name) is quite irrelavant for doctorate. Many researchers would choose Lancaster over Oxbridge for corpus linguistics because it's the place to study corpus linguistics. Neither Scottish history nor mordern history is specific enough for doctorate. Only you know who are your potential supervisors and what you want get from them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
27.78%
As I expected (73)
31.2%
Harder (88)
37.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.42%

Watched Threads