Sheffield vs leicester for medicineWatch this thread
- Sem 1 (if managed well) gave us some time to relax and slowly get used to the subject and uni as it wasn’t as content heavy as sem2
- dissection (go there every Tuesday and does really help learning the anatomy)
- Good support services available and you can also join any medic sport club for free if you are part of LUSUMA (the medic society)
- Some lectures are simulcasted, meaning you don’t have to go in and can watch them at home
- It’s a great city, people are nice and you will enjoy your time here.
Things that I found could have been improved:
- A massive jump from sem1 to sem2 and the content between the two isn’t evenly spread out as much
- Anatomy had to be learnt fairly quickly as each week as you move onto a new section of the human body relatively quickly
This is all I could really think up of from the top of my head but I hope it helps!
I’ve been given offers by both unis and I have gone to see both of them recently. Could anyone who is currently, or has recently, studied medicine at either university chime in with some of the good and bad features?
I am a mum but hope I can help a little with your dilemma. My youngest daughter has 2 offers for uni, Leicester being one of them. She was 99% sure she would accept her other offer at B'ham but, after the offer holder day, she had a total change of heart and has firmed Leicester. She got such a good feeling about Leicester, not just the vibe, but also the course...
- New medical buildings
- Lecture style learning mixed with small group learning
- Full body dissection
- Ability to earn money as HCA throughout degree
- Encouragement to intercalate
- Very forward thinking attitudes.
Now, I cannot comment on Sheffeild med but my eldest daughter is studying a different course at Sheffeild and absolutely loves it there. Really friendly city, good social life and fantastic reputation.
On another note, my youngest daughter's friend was in exactly the same situation as you and only firmed Sheffield a couple of days ago. She then found out that all her preferred accommodation has now gone and there is only shared bathrooms available as an option. I am not sure how this works in reality as my eldest got into Sheffeild on clearing and had an ensuite room.
I would make a list of all the pros and cons, enquire to each uni about current accommodation options (as many might of gone) and if still unsure, just go with your gut. I think you'll have a great time wherever you go!!!