Should I go straight into a masters or work (re. policy, human rights, civil service)

Watch this thread
Kaother
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am currently studying BA International law with Spanish and nearing the end of my second year, so I am thinking beyond my current course as most applications are for this winter.

I really want a role in policy/advocacy/human rights/research. Its a wide range, I know, but only trial and error will allow me to know exactly what it is I want to do. I have been achieving consistent first class grades in my degree and so long as I put the work in next year I am confident I will achieve a first.

I have been eyeing the Civil Service Fast Track scheme as the parliamentary stream seems to be within the policy realm, and this seems like a good way to kick start my career. I’m not a British citizen so I cannot apply for the development stream. However I do not want to get out of the “habit” of studying. I have dyslexia and it has taken so much study and focus for me to reach this level. But then masters are expensive and I can’t guarantee I will get the necessary funding to do so. Does anyone know if the Civil Service pay for relevant masters degrees? Should I seek a masters before applying for the civil service or should I take a break from study?

I’m sorry but these questions plague me as I feel there are so many avenues and I’m terrified of choosing the “wrong” one. I am a mature student too, so that just adds to the pressures I feel of wanting to reach certain milestones by a certain age. Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read my ramblings.
Heeck
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it's quite rare for a job in the civil service to pay for your masters in full, though I do know people who went from full time work to part time work so that they could do a masters degree full time while part time working (I believe part time work is around 21ish hours a week depending on the department). Note in these cases the masters were not being paid for.
BenRyan99
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kaother)
I am currently studying BA International law with Spanish and nearing the end of my second year, so I am thinking beyond my current course as most applications are for this winter.

I really want a role in policy/advocacy/human rights/research. Its a wide range, I know, but only trial and error will allow me to know exactly what it is I want to do. I have been achieving consistent first class grades in my degree and so long as I put the work in next year I am confident I will achieve a first.

I have been eyeing the Civil Service Fast Track scheme as the parliamentary stream seems to be within the policy realm, and this seems like a good way to kick start my career. I’m not a British citizen so I cannot apply for the development stream. However I do not want to get out of the “habit” of studying. I have dyslexia and it has taken so much study and focus for me to reach this level. But then masters are expensive and I can’t guarantee I will get the necessary funding to do so. Does anyone know if the Civil Service pay for relevant masters degrees? Should I seek a masters before applying for the civil service or should I take a break from study?

I’m sorry but these questions plague me as I feel there are so many avenues and I’m terrified of choosing the “wrong” one. I am a mature student too, so that just adds to the pressures I feel of wanting to reach certain milestones by a certain age. Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read my ramblings.
Fwiw the civil service fast stream isn't running in 2023
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
31.71%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (14)
34.15%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.88%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.88%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
7.32%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
14.63%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.44%

Watched Threads