Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    acrylicy jumpers and sweaters go a bit 'shiny' if you iron them? Anything to stop this from happeneing?

Merci!

are you ironing them inside out?

ReputationRep:
    yes! never iron them straight on directly. even some of my dresses and skirts do this. put like a neatly ironed tea towel over them so theres no direct contact. NEVER iron them even when inside out!

ReputationRep:
    You can also get those weird netty sheet things that you put over the clothes as you iron. I have no idea if they work or not. My mum gave me one when I moved to Chester 3 years ago but I've never used it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a student, I don't iron things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .x.jen.x.)
    yes! never iron them straight on directly. even some of my dresses and skirts do this. put like a neatly ironed tea towel over them so theres no direct contact. NEVER iron them even when inside out!
    Thankssss! I'm SO annoyed. I gave my new cardi to Johnson's for washing and ironing mainly because I know that my stuff goes shiny...well lo and behold, it came back shiny today. I'm so pissed off!

Just a regular old (clean) tea towel is OK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    are you ironing them inside out?
    yepp

ReputationRep:
    well i think so! wait for someone else to give advice cos i dont want to be in charge of ruining any of your clothes :p: but im sure thats what my mum told me to do and its never gone shiny. she used to shout at me when i ironed directly on to my school jumpers and made them shiny! it should be okay so long as the iron isn't touching the wool though. try it on a jumper thats not one of your faves just like a tiny bit on the sleeve and see if you notice a difference maybe. it's pretty unavoidable if you want to iron directly onto the garment tho, i dont think there are any special products to prevent it or anything.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, I'll try it out tomorrow.

There's nothing one can do to remedy a shinified jumper, yeh?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it's because acrylic is a plasticky (sp?) material, so effectively you're melting the plastic when you iron, moulding fibres together and making it shiny.

I just made that stuff up. but it could be true. don't quote me on it, despite what my sig says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheesyBeans)
    You can also get those weird netty sheet things that you put over the clothes as you iron. I have no idea if they work or not. My mum gave me one when I moved to Chester 3 years ago but I've never used it.
    do you know what these are called? I'm having abrowse online atm but not sure what to look far, boo!

ReputationRep:
    nope you cant unshinify it

and Dijobla makes a good point...you have to make sure the iron is on a REALLLY cool setting, even if it's not directly touching. The "silk" setting is best, the wool one is still a bit hot.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I'm so bloody idept, luckily the shiny bits are on the bits of the top that go under the arms. I have half a mind to complain to Johnsons, but I'm embarassed because I'll have to use their services at some time in the future.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.betterware.co.uk/productd...language=en-GB SUCCESS!

ReputationRep:
    good find

ReputationRep:
    and it's out of stock *grumble*

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes dry cleaning or dressmaking/fabric shops sell them. I think they're usually called ironing cloths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faywraith)
    Sometimes dry cleaning or dressmaking/fabric shops sell them. I think they're usually called ironing cloths.
    oooh, good idea, thanks, I shall look tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    oooh, good idea, thanks, I shall look tomorrow.
    My mum got one from John Lewis a little while back. I think it's the kind of thing they'll sell in Robert Dyers (no idea how to spell the last bit I'm afraid!) if you have one near you.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.