Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    acrylicy jumpers and sweaters go a bit 'shiny' if you iron them? Anything to stop this from happeneing?

Merci!

are you ironing them inside out?

ReputationRep:
    yes! never iron them straight on directly. even some of my dresses and skirts do this. put like a neatly ironed tea towel over them so theres no direct contact. NEVER iron them even when inside out!

ReputationRep:
    You can also get those weird netty sheet things that you put over the clothes as you iron. I have no idea if they work or not. My mum gave me one when I moved to Chester 3 years ago but I've never used it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a student, I don't iron things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .x.jen.x.)
    yes! never iron them straight on directly. even some of my dresses and skirts do this. put like a neatly ironed tea towel over them so theres no direct contact. NEVER iron them even when inside out!
    Thankssss! I'm SO annoyed. I gave my new cardi to Johnson's for washing and ironing mainly because I know that my stuff goes shiny...well lo and behold, it came back shiny today. I'm so pissed off!

Just a regular old (clean) tea towel is OK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    are you ironing them inside out?
    yepp

ReputationRep:
    well i think so! wait for someone else to give advice cos i dont want to be in charge of ruining any of your clothes :p: but im sure thats what my mum told me to do and its never gone shiny. she used to shout at me when i ironed directly on to my school jumpers and made them shiny! it should be okay so long as the iron isn't touching the wool though. try it on a jumper thats not one of your faves just like a tiny bit on the sleeve and see if you notice a difference maybe. it's pretty unavoidable if you want to iron directly onto the garment tho, i dont think there are any special products to prevent it or anything.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, I'll try it out tomorrow.

There's nothing one can do to remedy a shinified jumper, yeh?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it's because acrylic is a plasticky (sp?) material, so effectively you're melting the plastic when you iron, moulding fibres together and making it shiny.

I just made that stuff up. but it could be true. don't quote me on it, despite what my sig says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheesyBeans)
    You can also get those weird netty sheet things that you put over the clothes as you iron. I have no idea if they work or not. My mum gave me one when I moved to Chester 3 years ago but I've never used it.
    do you know what these are called? I'm having abrowse online atm but not sure what to look far, boo!

ReputationRep:
    nope you cant unshinify it

and Dijobla makes a good point...you have to make sure the iron is on a REALLLY cool setting, even if it's not directly touching. The "silk" setting is best, the wool one is still a bit hot.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I'm so bloody idept, luckily the shiny bits are on the bits of the top that go under the arms. I have half a mind to complain to Johnsons, but I'm embarassed because I'll have to use their services at some time in the future.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.betterware.co.uk/productd...language=en-GB SUCCESS!

ReputationRep:
    good find

ReputationRep:
    and it's out of stock *grumble*

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes dry cleaning or dressmaking/fabric shops sell them. I think they're usually called ironing cloths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faywraith)
    Sometimes dry cleaning or dressmaking/fabric shops sell them. I think they're usually called ironing cloths.
    oooh, good idea, thanks, I shall look tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    oooh, good idea, thanks, I shall look tomorrow.
    My mum got one from John Lewis a little while back. I think it's the kind of thing they'll sell in Robert Dyers (no idea how to spell the last bit I'm afraid!) if you have one near you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.