Can I write and adapt my personal statement to suit different universities?

Watch this thread
noodlestopshop_
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have four universities I am considering applying to at the end of this year. The question I'm wondering is if I can make minor changes throughout my statement depending on where I am submitting it to. For the one university, I am considering mentioning why I chose them, and I want to include notes on the location. However, if I do this, I will not be able to submit it to the other universities as they are on opposite ends of the UK, and so I would leave out notes on the location for the other three options (meaning I would have to adapt it to suit different universities).

If this is not allowed or is not recommended, I assume it would be best to leave university-specific information out and focus on the course details instead?
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Applying on UCAS means all universities see the same personal statement and you have to talk about the course instead - but that is what they will be more interested in regardless A few unis (Eg. Durham) do allow you to submit a separate personal statement for them but that's usually aimed at people applying to slightly different courses at their uni (Eg. natural science as opposed to a single science)
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No, you write one PS which is about you and your interest in the course. Your school will guide you.
(Original post by noodlestopshop_)
I have four universities I am considering applying to at the end of this year. The question I'm wondering is if I can make minor changes throughout my statement depending on where I am submitting it to. For the one university, I am considering mentioning why I chose them, and I want to include notes on the location. However, if I do this, I will not be able to submit it to the other universities as they are on opposite ends of the UK, and so I would leave out notes on the location for the other three options (meaning I would have to adapt it to suit different universities).

If this is not allowed or is not recommended, I assume it would be best to leave university-specific information out and focus on the course details instead?
RSADH
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

This is from my personal opinion but you could weave little things in, course specific, and not location. Avoid mentioning a location as it looks bad. For example, my top choice was LSE, so I had a look at all their modules and the modules of the other universities I was applying too. Every university offered 'development economics', 'behavioural economics', and others. I only discussed modules every university offered (bar Cambridge because they allowed me to submit a SAQ). Anyways, what I did was I looked into LSE's module description for 'behavioural economics' and 'development economics' and weaved in books they taught from in them modules. I think that's the best way to make your PS uni specific. I would avoid going further than this, I.e. directly stating you love the location of x uni.

Hope this helps and GL!
RSADH
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
No, you write one PS which is about you and your interest in the course. Your school will guide you.
Some schools are terrible at providing advise on the Personal Statement (mine was completely rubbish). Complete the free unirise personal statement course (google this) and you will have all your answers.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RSADH)
Some s.
TSR has all the info needed
EmilyClarke24
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago

Hey,

I am a current 3rd year student at Nottingham.
I applied to different unis and different courses so had to be reasonably broad when it came to writing my personal statement. I was advised to not mention anything university specific and focus more on my characteristics that I have developed to make me suitable for studying sciences (as this is what I was applying to).

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions just let me know,
Emily
Christine Rep
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago

Hi noodlestopshop_
I am a current 1st year student, and when I applied for University, I made sure to keep my personal statement as broad as possible, even though I was applying for the same course at different Universities. I would recommend focusing on the course itself, rather than including the location and include your reasoning as to why you want to study the course!

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask!
Good luck with your application

Christine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (42)
32.31%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (60)
46.15%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (27)
20.77%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.77%

Watched Threads